Ice cream is probably one of my favorite sweets (aside from cupcakes), for several reasons. One being that it’s quick and easily accessible. Number two, I live in Houston, where it’s almost always hot enough to peel paint from the walls and to sweat yourself skinny in a mere 30 minutes of being outside, which makes ice cream a justified token dessert. All of that to say that I plan to start doing several homemade ice creams posts throughout the spring & summer to keep things cool (pun intended).
POMEGRANATE FROZEN YOGURT RECIPE from Cafe Fernando
- 2 cups freshly-squeezed pomegranate juice
- 1+ 1/2 cup plain, whole milk yogurt
- 2/3 cup Grenadine (pomegranate syrup)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Stir pomegranate juice and sugar over moderate heat until the sugar dissolves. Add lemon juice and let cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, combine yogurt, pomegranate juice and pomegranate syrup and whisk until completely combined.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly (3 hours in the freezer works for me), then freeze it in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If you don’t have one, here’s how you make ice cream without a machine.
photos & recipe via Cafe Fernando