DIY // Chalkboard anything to-do list.

01/18/13

DIY natural wood chalkboard DIY

This weekend is my first DIY event at Ikea, and I’m beyond excited! It’s themed around getting organized, so I’ve been scheming up out of the ordinary ways to re-purpose everyday items. Most things you’ll have to see on Saturday, but I wanted to include those of you that aren’t local (hi, mom!) in my DIY chalkboard to-do list using Deco-Art’s new chalkboard anything paint. No lie, I want to chalkboard everything in my house right now just because I can. And on that note, I’d like to take this time to apologize to my husband in advance..

Materials:

Essentially you can go as crazy as you’d like with this tutorial as long as you keep in mind a few keys steps: Any detailed stamping or lettering you have to do after you’ve painted the chalkboard coats according to the instructions on the bottle. The chalkboard paint will smear any details that are painted with craft paint if you use it after. Here’s are steps I took to make mine:

DIY natural wood chalkboard

DIY natural wood chalkboard DIY

First, I painted the whole board with chalkboard paint according to the instructions on the bottle. Once it had set for 24 hours, I stamped my logo on the top, and then taped off the bottom portion and painted it mint julep green from DecoArt. Then I drilled a hole in the top of the board and strung leather cord through and knotted it. I cured the surface by rubbing white chalk across it and wiping it off, and then I bought black chalkboard pens for everyday use so that it was easier to write and see than traditional white chalk. Pretty simple and definitely much cuter than a plain old chalkboard or dry erase to-d0 list!

DIY natural wood chalkboard DIY

DIY natural wood chalkboard DIY

P.s.- If you don’t want to miss out on the rest of the projects, you can still RSVP for the event, here. See you Saturday!

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter13Email to someone

31 thoughts on “DIY // Chalkboard anything to-do list.

1. Vicki

This looks so awesome! I’ve never seen clear chalkboard paint. I’d also like to know what type of marker you used to write with!

If I wasn’t going out of town this weekend I would TOTALLY go see you at Ikea :)

2. jewel7013

If this project is a *hint* of what you have created for Ikea tomorrow, they are very lucky to have your contributions :) I really like how you used the leather cord and the paint strip…

3. Helen

Wow, this is a great idea! It’s also the first time that I’ve come across spray on clear chalkboard coating – going to have a google to see if we can get this anywhere in Australia!

4. Pingback: DIY Chalkboard To-Do List | Whimseybox

5. Tia

Ok, this is so crazy! I haven’t seen clear chalkboard paint yet! I was kind of confused when I first started reading/looking at this project. I just did a whole wall in black chalkboard at home but this has opened up a whole new can of possibilities! Thanks for sharing.

6. Pingback: Got Wood – DIY Inspiration « Lower East Dry Goods

7. Mary Ann

Clear chalkboard paint–wow!!! This opens up a world of possibilities for kids’ rooms with mural backgrounds and underlays they could draw on. And the chalk pencils sound so much neater (especially on the hands). Thanks for this post!

8. Pingback: Nesting | Litt om Britt

9. Pingback: Chalkboard bottles with a twist! | PosyRosy

10. jessica

Loved this so much I made four for co-worker gifts! Thank you for the excellent idea and diy…I posted a bit on my blog with my finished projects as well. Thank you!

11. Pingback: 7 DIYs to Try This Weekend | Paper & Stitch

12. Pingback: DIY Chalkboard To-Do List — Eat Well 101

13. Pingback: Must Make Monday // clear chalkboard | pinechunks

14. Tracy A

I just did this…but the black chalk pen didn’t rub off! It soaked right in. What brand of pen do you use? I put 3 coats of clear chalk paint…but now I have a permanent to do list!

1. Ashley Post author

Oh no! That’s really weird, how long did you let it sit before writing on it? You may have to “season” the chalkboard with white chalk and rub it away before using the pens..