Home Sweet West Virginia

October 8, 2013

west virginia

I’m flying home to West Virginia today for a week. I. Cannot. Wait. I really need a break. You know how sometimes you get spread so thin you can’t even tell up from down anymore? I kind of feel like that these days. At the ripe age of 25 I’m finally realizing that I can do just about anything but not everything.

I totally get why my grandmother always uses the phrase “be sure to take care of yourself”. To be honest, I totally have not been. I’ve been burning the candle at both ends as if I’m super woman or something, and I’m finally starting to realize it. The only catch is that I just so happen to be one of those people that can’t stop “doing”. I’m constantly thinking of my to-do lists or next project to make. I can honestly say that one of my biggest downfalls is not being able to relax. If they had a version of the Olympics for busy-bodies, I would be a gold medalist my friends. On a brighter note, I plan to take it easy this week (and by that I mean fewer emails and computer time than usual).

Do any of you have a special formula for learning to relax? Let’s hear it!

9 thoughts on “Home Sweet West Virginia

1. chloenolan

The best thing that happened on my recent vaca was that I was forced to unplug. It was so freeing (after being a little distressing in the beginning…). I say take a few days to de-digitize your life and you’ll be as good as new.

2. Alice

I like to take vacations to just get away from everything. Learning a new culture. I agree with chloenolan. I had a camping trip where my cell phone didn’t work out in certain parts of the campground. I felt amazing and humbled by Mother Nature.

3. jewel7013

There’s no place like home, there’s no place like home…best medicine for anything in life is family and friends. keep grounded to the most important things in life and never chase money or material things and your life will always be balanced. We love you and cant wait to see you!

4. anne

I hope you are able to relax, Ashley! I know that feeling – there is so much to do that you can’t even sit down. Well, it will all wait . . . take deep breaths, enjoy the present moment and restore yourself.

5. Jessica (Coco/Mingo)

Wow, what a gorgeous photo! Now I want to go there! Enjoy your time and relax! I definitely know that feeling! I try to use my weekends as “off days” where I don’t do any work or go on the computer as much…but you know how that goes! Can never stay away for very long…Have a great time!

6. Alicia Kenney DiRago

Have a great, great, great trip home!! My sister and I both feel like we can’t sleep at all in our normal lives and at our parents’ house we can sleep for like 16 straight hours. Crazy how that works sometimes :)

7. Homemade Experience

Have a good trip home! I recently moved to WV and find it very welcoming.
    My formula to relax is taking thirty min. to an hour before bed, making a cup of tea, lighting a candle, putting on lavender lotion and doing anything I “want” to do instead of something I think I “need” to do. Most of the time I write, read or take bath. Sometimes, I even bake something indulgent or simply just lay down and watch a show or fall asleep. It relaxes me before bed so I actually sleep well and wake up feeling somewhat rejuvenated, and it doesn’t make me feel like I’m taking away time from my family or any sort of work I need to do during the day.