I’m excited to announce Alison as the the very first feature on the new Style Diaries column. Alison is a newlywed living in California who writes the blog Hello Lately, which features everything from DIY’s to heartwarmingly honest thoughts about everyday life. After I read her post One, Two, Three, I was hooked (sometimes I can relate all too well). So, here is a peek into Alison’s style diary–
What’s your summer uniform?
- I live in Los Angeles and work from home – which is the winning combination for a wardrobe full of laid back clothes (especially in the summertime.) Since the temperature started rising in June, I’ve worn a variation of the same outfit every day: a comfortable pair of shorts (in a good fit,) a loose fitting blouse with some interesting details or a unique pattern, wedges or leather sandals (depending on the activity), bright nail polish, and messy beach hair pinned up with a colorful clip.
Style item you can’t leave the house without?
- Probably my Kate Spade bangle. It was a Christmas present from my parents last year and since I got it, there have been few days when I haven’t worn it. I tend to gravitate towards simple jewelry, so this bracelet fits my style perfectly. And, I love that the little bow on the clasp adds such an unexpected sparkle of whimsy. I think gold goes with everything (even other metals) so I know it’ll match my outfits – no matter what I’m wearing. It’s my go-to grab as I scramble out the door.
Is there a piece/gift you cherish most?
- When I got married, my younger brother bought me a beautiful pair of Tiffany&Co. pearl earrings as a wedding gift. (It was my first little blue box!) His thoughtfulness and effort to find the perfect gift made it all the more special. I plan on keeping them (and wearing them) for the rest of my life!
What are your go-to shoes or bag?
- I can only pick one!? Hmmm… then I’d have to pick my J.Crew wedges. I splurged on them last summer, but I wear them ALL THE TIME, so I think it was worth it. They’re perfect: neutral enough to match with almost everything, but they have fun details – like the cream colored rope that wraps around the base. And, they’re not too high! As I get “older,” it’s getting harder and harder to wear high heels! :)
What current trend are you obsessing over?
- Bright colors! I love that they’re making a comeback. It makes me happy to see so many people embracing hot pink, coral, orange and mint green this summer. And, I can’t seem to get enough of it – on my nails, in my hair, on my legs, you name it.
Thanks Alison! You’re the cutest! -xoxo Ash
photos provided by Hello Lately for Sugar & Cloth