Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
A classic and easy chicken tortilla soup recipe that's fresh and flavorful and loaded with veggies for a healthy boost!
- 4 cup chicken shredded
- 6 cup chicken broth
- 1 can black beans
- 14 oz diced tomatoes 1 can
- 2 cup corn
- 2 bell peppers chopped
- 1 onion diced large
- 1 cup cilantro shredded
- 1 jalapeño diced very fine
- 3-4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- Salt & pepper
- Tortilla chips
- Shredded cheese cheddar, Monterey Jack, etc. are all great options
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
Begin by preparing your ingredients: Chop the bell peppers and onion into about ½” pieces, chop or shred your chicken, mince the garlic and dice the jalapeño finely. Open the can of diced tomatoes and black beans, then drain and rinse the black beans in a colander or large strainer. Shred or tear your cilantro and set it aside.
To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup On The Stovetop:
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat and add the onion and bell pepper. Cook until they are tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and stir in for about a minute or until the garlic is fragrant.
Quickly add in the chicken broth, shredded chicken, spices, salt and pepper, jalapeño, diced tomatoes, and corn. Stir together and allow it to cook over medium low heat for about 25 minutes to allow the flavors to cook together.
Add the black beans, then adjust salt to taste. Cook until the beans are warm.
To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup In the Crock Pot:
Put all of the ingredients in the crockpot except for the cooked chicken, black beans, and cilantro. Cook on low for 2-3 hours.
Add the chicken and beans 30-45 minutes before serving.
Stir in the cilantro just before putting the soup in bowls.
To Serve The Soup:
Layer tortilla chips and cheese in the bottom of a bowl.
Fill your bowl with the soup over the tortilla chips and cheese.
Top with avocado, sour cream, cilantro, and lime wedges and serve immediately.
- To Roast Your Own Chicken: Place 3-4 chicken breasts on a foil lined pan. Rub them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes, or until the internal temperature measures 160F. Allow it to cool, then chop it into small chunks or tear it into pieces.
- Store any leftover soup in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 day. Chicken tortilla soup can also be frozen before the beans and cilantro are added.
Calories: 275kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 920mg | Potassium: 806mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2105IU | Vitamin C: 82mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 3mg