Howdy from Austin aka the Live Music Capital of the World! We kicked off SXSW last night speaking at The Refinery with Packed Party and some of my favorite blogger ladies, which is especially fitting since it’s International Women’s Day today!
As part of the Digital Dose panel, we talked about ways to creating an engaged online community. Most importantly, we also discussed how not to get burnt out in the process, which to be honest, I’ve been obviously struggling with. Maybe they just added me to that panel for some solid reality, haha!
Do NOT be on the lookout for a post with my tips on speaking in front of a crowd, though. Seriously, it’s always a little nerve wrecking and I just wing it, to be honest! My advice? Calm your nerves with a glass of wine.
Last time we really did it up in Austin for SXSW, we hauled along 200 macarons. This time, Gwen is in tow and on the move (just walking, let’s not get crazy)! The verdict is still out on which one was easier to road trip with. The macarons were definitely quieter.
It’s always fun coming back to Austin, especially since Jared’s brother is here. The city has changed so much even just since my move to Texas nine years ago!
Okay, I’ll stop rambling about my life now. In honor of International Women’s Day, here are some cool things from even cooler female makers….
THE WEEKLY EDIT
- Rachel Comey Jo Earrings: The New York designer has a celeb cult following from Zadie Smith to Greta Gerwig to Michelle Obama and not mention, a beautiful flagship SOHO store.
- Kosas Rosewater Lipstick: Founder Sheena Yaitanes of Los Angeles used her background as a painter and organic chemist to create the all-natural beauty line. BONUS: All items are almond oil-free since her daughter suffers from a severe nut allergy.
- Lena Rena Goren Skaters Print: If you think you’ve seen artist, Lena Goren’s illustrations before, you most likely have! She has done commissions for Anthropologie, Ban.do, Chronicle Books, Loeffler Randall, Kate Spade, Penguin Random House, Revlon and Vogue.
- Keds x Dunsen Dusen Color Stripe Shoes: The queen of bold prints and patterns, Brooklyn-based Ellen Van Dusen even created her own major (Psychology of Design) at Tufts University.
- Calpak x Oh Joy Carry-On Suitcase: It’s always great to have a friend in the blogging world who truly understands first-hand all our ups and downs. The Calpak collaboration is one of many of Joy Cho’s beautiful partnerships!
- Paloma Wool Saludos Sweatshirt: In 2014, Paloma Wool launched her namesake brand. Fashion runs deep in her blood as the Barcelona designer still helps her parents run their own two Spanish labels.
- BAGGU Sailor Stripe Duck Bag: If you haven’t noticed, we are obsessed with BAGGU. Their eco-friendly reusable bags are our go-to grocery bags and their leather tote never leaves my side.
- Kathleen Whitaker Gold Staple Earrings: Seeing Kathleen Whitaker’s minimal geometric earpieces makes us wanna get multiple piercings. All her jewelry are sold individually to be mixed or matched.
- And lastly here’s a tee that’s fitting for this day!