DIY // Slate Cheeseboard

01/27/12

DIY slate cheeseboard

What’s better than cheese and crackers? A good excuse to eat them. And that, my friends, is exactly what this super cute slate cheeseboard will give you– All for under $5.

1 | Slate tile (you can get free samples at tile & flooring stores)

2 | Felt Circles

3 | Olive oil

4 | Chalk marker / chalk (optional)

how to make your own slate cheeseboard

1 | Scrub (thoroughly) and rinse your slate piece, and pat dry.

2 | Coat all surfaces of the slate with olive oil, then scrub and rinse slate again. This will condition the surface and help create a barrier between the slate & food. Once you’ve scrubbed and rinsed the second time, apply one last coat of olive oil and dab away the excess. *

3 | Apply adhesive felt circles to each of the four corners.

4 | Using a chalk marker, label the cheeses.

5 | Display and eat. You can also refrigerate the slate to keep your cute cheese cold, it’s a win/win!

* The most obvious question of this DIY is if the slate board is food safe. The answer to that is yes and no depending on if you are using it for it’s intended purpose (this is also why the conditioning process is important). The cheeseboard is for display use, and as such is food safe, but should not be used as a dining plate (As with many kinds of serve-ware). Handwash only.
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Email to someone

153 thoughts on “DIY // Slate Cheeseboard

1. Jbot

Oh my god, cheese. Living in Korea it’s so hard to get this essential part of the Western diet and mindset. It just doesn’t exist here like it does there. My mouth is watering so bad, so much.

*drool*

2. MJ, Nonstepmom

This is great idea – not everyone likes eating something if they dont know exactly what it is….even just knowing which cheese …..and saves the hostess from having to repeat over and over “This is Havarti…..”. Love it !

3. Sinister Dreams

Oh I will be making this! We moved to Italy a year ago and we’ve been eating a lot of cheese, and some of them have weird names that no one can pronounce, with this I can just write it on there and let people try to figure it out that way! Great Idea!!

4. Emma @ Sweet Mabel

This is brilliant. I will definitely be doing this, congrats for being freshly pressed and thanks for the idea x

5. Rae

That’s a great DIY project! Good for parties or a gift, and on the slim chance that I ever open a restaurant, I’m totally doing this.

6. newsy1

What a unique idea, rather than a typical cutting board or cheese board. I love cheese so much, I swear I would eat it off cardboard. Very clever post.

7. Chef Ivan

Reblogged this on harlequinncooks and commented:
    I really like this idea. It makes it so simple, yet would catch the eye of every cheese lover. I always wanted to veer away from the tacky tent cards and the piercings of valuable cheese with a toothpick. This new take on presentation is just the beginning. Sushi. Sandwiches. Cold Cuts. The possibilities are endless. Please review this. I would like your opinion.

8. jcwinstead

What a fun and simple DIY project! This project could even cost one nothing if they already had felt handy. What is great about this is you can choose any color or type of tile to use to help match the decor you already own. I thought the idea of writing the type of cheese with chalk on the cutting board was brilliant!

9. Pingback: Commenting Bloggers « The Vintage Press

10. Ada

Simple yet brilliant! Never thought of serving cheese and crackers that way. But I guess this is the way I’m gonna serve it from now on! =]

11. Pingback: Plateau de fromages original « G.E. WEDDING INSPIRATIONS

12. carbonara

Really, really cool. I’m going to pass this on (as your idea, of coures) to a friend of mine who organizes in-house wine-tastings and table setting events in Italy….
    (www.vinidadivano.com)
    J

13. Birthday NYC

This is such a simple idea, but I swear I would have likely went and spent money on something that will probably look better and mean more since I did it myself, now that I have seen your easy to follow guide. One thing about helping plan a lot of birthday parties is that there can never be a shortage of ideas for food platters, and this is one that I am definitely going to incorporate. I’m actually going to get the materials right now!

14. wikiwikiwerewolf

This is really cool (and professional looking). I’m so sad that I can’t/shouldn’t use this as a dinner plate. I’d love to throw a big flaming steak on top of this and arrange some Kale or such around it.

15. blujewel

I enjoy entertaining and it’s sometimes hard to be everywhere at once to answer food questions, so I got in the habit of labeling foods, but this is by far the best idea I’ve seen. I will take and use this nifty idea. Thanks for sharing

16. trish

wow! really simple, cheap and versatile idea. i’ve read about people using tiles as pizza stones, which kind of scares me because they could definitely shatter in high heat. but THIS!!! such a good idea.

side note: cheeses are recommended to be served room temp for maximal cheesy goodness ;) but the cooling ability of the tile would be good if you had a long waiting/traveling time i think! :) great blog post!

17. Pingback: Slate Cheese Boards

18. Hannah

I was wondering if after you wash your new cheeseboard after being used, do you need to reapply olive oil?

19. Martin Lee

Great idea.I was a bit worried about your comments re “a plate” I presume that you could still cut the cheese on the slate and then use a fresh plate for eating the cheese?

20. Pingback: Weekend Wisdom | Tulle

21. erika

Hi Ashley! I’m also from Houston–can you tell me where you got your slate tiles? I tried Home Depot last night but they didn’t have any plain black slate (they said they’d have to order it specially). I’ll look up some flooring stores but if you have any tips, I’d love to avoid going on a wild goose chase :) Thanks so much!

22. Hiba

I would only change one thing. Olive oil can and will turn rancid, that’s why chefs tell you to never seal your wooden or other boards with it. Instead, use food-grade mineral oil, available at pharmacies, supermarkets, Wal-Mart, etc. But love the idea, thank you.

23. Pingback: Edible Joy

24. john smith

Dear Potential Business Owner:

If you are like me, you’ve searched the Internet over and wasted lots of time and money with “get rich quick” businesses that turned out to be schemes. I’ve always wanted to start my own business that was LEGITIMATE and HONEST (and not a “pie in the sky” fairy tale). Well, I did it! I’ve officially started my own home business as an affiliate with SFI (Strong Future International). Here are some of the reasons why I decided to go with SFI:

* Their parent company has been around since 1985.
    * It’s free to get started.
    * They’re in over 190 countries worldwide.
    * You can do everything from home on your computer.
    * 24-hour support.
    * Free training and free Website.
    * They’re growing rapidly and there’s lots of money to be made.

There’s nothing to lose and everything to gain here, including more time with your family and more money in your wallet. It’s well worth looking at SFI and investing in your future with us. For more information, see http://farmville-2-cheat.com/SFI.html

25. Pingback: DIY ::: Slate Serving Tray » happy pretty home