DIY faux brass drawer fronts | sugar & cloth

DIY Faux Brass Drawer Fronts

photos by Jared Smith

I seriously want to gold foil ALL THE THINGS. It’s a problem. I hope I don’t look back at these years and have the same feelings as I do when I look at old middle school photos of myself with my over-plucked eyebrows and massive braces (you know, the kind of feeling when you wonder why no one stepped in to save you from yourself). In this instance it may be too late, because now I’ve gone and created DIY faux brass drawer fronts on all of our desk drawers.

I can’t help it, especially since I discovered this new metallic gold foil that’s only feeding my habit because a) it’s only $10, and B) because you now get a giant roll of it that’s actually big enough to cover lots of things (which previously did not exist in my world). I hope you guys have prepared yourselves for gold madness around here…

DIY faux brass drawer fronts | sugar & cloth

READER NOTE!- Just a fair warning that I’m not using transfer paper in it’s usual setting here. Some of you gold foiling pro’s may cringe, but this is what works for this particular project in a manner that’s easy for a wide variety of skill levels to do at home.

Materials:

Go ahead and cut a small piece of foil that’s just about 1-2 inches bigger than your drawer fronts on all sides so it’s easier to work with when adhering.

DIY faux brass drawer fronts | sugar & cloth

Next, use a foam brush to brush on a thin layer of the screen adhesive, but DON’T let it dry before applying the foil as the bottle states. Go ahead and immediately lay the gold foil (gold side up, obviously) on the adhesive and use the craft squeegee to push the bubbles out. (THIS is what I meant by not using the foil as you usually would in order to make it easier for most people, if you’d like to attempt this the pro way, more power to you!)

NOTE: If you’re pressing too hard or if the glue is too tacky/dry before apply the foil, it will pull the foil away from the surface, so be gentle with it. Also don’t freak out if it’s not perfect, you actually won’t even notice most imperfections! Mine had lots from trial and error, and you don’t even notice them in real life.

DIY faux brass drawer fronts | sugar & cloth

Once it’s nice and smooth, flip the surface face down and use an Xacto knife to trim away the excess foil.

DIY faux brass drawer fronts | sugar & cloth

Now just install the drawer fronts and you’re ready to glimmer, er… something like that. DIY faux brass drawer fronts | sugar & clothDIY faux brass drawer fronts | sugar & cloth

Now I’m just trying to come up with a cool planter DIY for in between the windows above our desks, what do you think? I really want a retro vibe to it, but I’m going to leave the touches of gold as-is, I’m officially cutting myself off from gold in this corner!

DIY faux brass drawer fronts | sugar & cloth

DIY Faux Brass Drawer Fronts

photos by Jared Smith

DIY faux brass drawer fronts | sugar & cloth

Materials:

DIY faux brass drawer fronts | sugar & cloth

DIY faux brass drawer fronts | sugar & cloth

DIY faux brass drawer fronts | sugar & cloth

Comments

• Ashley said:

Glad you like it! xoxo

• Brittni

04.09.15

Looks awesome, Ash! I’m definitely going to have to try some of that reactive gold foil. Love the other colors its comes in too!

• Ashley said:

Give me your tips when you use it!

• Hannah S

04.09.15

Gorgeous. Love how it looks especially on white furniture!

• Gemma

04.09.15

You do not cut the excess of foil!!! You have to peel it off!!! The reactive foil has a transparent protection on top… Once is dry you can pull (from the excess foil) and that protection will go away and it looks 2000 times nicer and shinner and better incorporated to the surface.

• Ashley said:

Hey Gemma! This is actually different than if you were applying it to fabric or applying heat to make it set, it’s just gluing it down as is. If you peel the excess away it will leave a marbled/missing gold effect, but you’re welcome to try it and see if you like that better! The way the tutorial states makes it sturdier for everyday use. We haven’t had any pieces scratch or tear as of yet! Hope this helps! ;)

• Gemma

04.09.15

Ou, but it has to be completely dry, if it is not then only where is dry will stay, and that creates a cracked cool look as well

• Ashley said:

If you try it that way, let me know if you find a secret to getting the bubbles out! I could only get it to work this way! xo

• Gemma

04.09.15

But it does not peels off on the sides anyways? Idk, I guess once you know it peels off then it feels wrong if you dont…

• I have those same drawers and they could DEFINITELY use some brass action. That reactive gold foil is blowing my mind!! Love it, Ash!

• Kristen N. Brown

04.18.15

I also want to gold foil my entire life, but PLEASE tell me where that white desk chair is from before I lose my entire mind. I’ve been searching for the perfect chair and oh my god, you have it! Please don’t say you made it, or thrifted it back in 1992 on a trip to Guam!

• chelsea said:

did we ever find out where these chairs are from!?

• Emmie

04.18.15

I was just about to post the same question – I need that chair! It’s kinda Eames-esque, which I love, but it looks comfier, which will placate the hubster….

• Paulette

04.19.15

Where do you buy the big pieces of the gold foil and do they have it in silver too?

• Jocee

04.22.15

Love this look! Where are the white chairs from? I’m assuming ikea but can’t find them on their website. Please help me out!! :))

• Mandy

04.23.15

Where did you get your foil from?

• anjuli

06.26.15

Thanks for this idea. We have the exact same desk and drawer set in our office/computer room and we have blue curtains in there. The furniture is too white now, lol. I might get a blue and pink foil to do random fronts for my kids drawer and black for myself. Don’t know if all those colors will complement or not. I have B/G twins and they will be using it as computer room too. Cool idea. Of course, I am nervous to try as I have never done anything like this. Where did you get that foil from?

• Marla said:

Hi – I also have a similar IKEA desk setup. How do you keep the desktop from sliding around. Did you attach it to the drawers? If so, what did you use?

Thanks!

• anjuli said:

Marla

We got legs for them. The table is still very light and is slightly moving. We have it all set up in L shape. I plan to use velcro between table ends to make them stick together. You could use velcro between top and bottom to make it stay together or Get those drawer liners (the ones with mini holes) and place it under the table top and on top of the drawers which might prevent it from sliding. Some inexpensive suggestions besides glueing it together :). HTH.

• Marla

07.11.15

This looks so great!! I also have a similar IKEA desk setup. How do you keep the desktop from sliding around. Did you attach it to the drawers? Thanks in advance.

• Priscila

07.30.15

Hi. Where dos you buy your desk? The drawers I think on ikea and the top? You dos your large desk? How do you calculate the measurments so it can fit your space? Does it comes on a standard measirment the top or they prepare the me asirme y you need? Thanks

• BVLGARI(バッグ?財布?小物)CHLOE(バッグ?財布、小物)偽物ブランド,激安,コピー?ルイヴィトンバッグ,偽物?ルイヴィトン財布,コピーバッグ,ブランドバッグ,偽物バッグ,偽物シャネルバッグ,偽物エルメスバッグ,偽物グッチバッグ,偽物財布,コピー財布,時計の專門店
    高品質2015シャネル スーパーコピー激安專門店弊社は海外大好評を博くシャネル コピー激安老舗です,2015高品質シャネル バッグ コピー,シャネル 靴 コピー,シャネル 財布 コピー品の品質はよくて、激安の大特価でご提供します。 http://www.okakaku.com/brand-3-copy-0.html

• Angel Marie

01.17.16

What size table top did you use and how did you attach it?

• gigi

03.08.16

Hi there, i have just moved into my first apartment in NYC, i LOVE your set up! i have the alex drawers, just wondering what tabletop you used for it? thanks you xo gi

• Ashley said:

We used the long unlacquered table tops from Ikea :)

• claudia

03.15.16

Hi, I absolutely love this and wanted to know where i can purchase the white drawers from?

• Ashley said:

They’re from Ikea :)

• ket qua mega 645

10.19.16

Hello it’s me, I am also visiting this website on a regular
    basis, this web site is in fact pleasant and the
    users are actually sharing nice thoughts.

• Ashley said:

So glad you enjoy our DIY’s!