Easy Savory Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl Recipe — This is a healthy and quick breakfast idea for you to stick to your resolutions but also add a bit of flavor to your morning…
Ready to up your breakfast game? Try this savory oatmeal breakfast bowl, a unique twist on the traditional version!
While this recipe is perfect for breakfast or brunch, I, Alex find myself making it most often on busy weeknights; when I need something healthy and hearty and am short on time.
Recipe Notes and Tips
I’ve included directions for one bowl, but to maximize prep time, consider making the ingredients in bulk.
The herbed tahini sauce will give you more than you need. So store extras in the fridge for more oatmeal bowls throughout the week or on pasta and salads.
You can double (or triple! or quadruple!) the amount of oats and spinach that you’ll need. Just like the sauce, extras will store well in the fridge for quick assembly.
Then, when ready to eat, poach (or fry) an egg and add in fresh tomatoes. How good is that? A flavorful go-to meal that you can whip up anytime!…
If you want to save a pan, consider frying the egg instead of poaching it. Once the spinach is done cooking, crack an egg into the seasoned pan and cook to your liking.
Once you’ve tried it this way, feel free to switch up the ingredients based on your preference!
There’s so many different combinations you can do, the possibilities are seriously endless!
It’s that simple! As long as you have an egg, a savory sauce and some type of vegetable, you can’t go wrong!
This is definitely not your average bowl of oatmeal. So what do you guys think? Have any favorite ingredients you would love to use for this savory oatmeal breakfast bowl recipe?
How to Make a Savory Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl
Savory Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl Recipe
- Food processor or blender
- Small saucepan
- Small skillet
For the Savory Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl:
- 0.25 cup steel cut oats
- 0.75 cup water
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cup spinach leaves
- 1 large egg
- 0.5 cup cherry tomatoes halved
For the Herbed Tahini Sauce:
- 0.5 cup tahini paste
- 0.5 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 scallion
- 2 garlic cloves
- First, start with making the herbed tahini sauce. Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until creamy and smooth. Depending on the power of your blender, you may need to add a tablespoon or two of water. Remove and place in an air-tight container; it will keep for up to a week in the fridge.
- Whisk together the oats, water and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat low. Simmer until oats are cooked through, about 25-30 minutes. Stir in the parmesan cheese and season to taste.
- While the oats are cooking, halve the cherry tomatoes and set aside. Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic clove and spinach, then cook for 3-4 minutes until leaves are wilted. Set aside.
- Just before oatmeal is ready, heat 2-3 cups of water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, then crack the egg into a small dish and pour into the simmering water. Poach until yolk is just set, roughly 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Assemble the bowl! Top oats with cooked garlic spinach, tomatoes and poached egg. Drizzle with herbed tahini sauce and enjoy!