DIY Tree Topper — For all of my Christmas lovers that like to get started early, we’re sharing a DIY Tree Topper and our holiday space with Martha Stewart!
Christmas is my all-time favorite holiday! If I decorate for nothing else the entire year, I will still go ALL OUT in December.
Admittedly, it’s not quite as picture-perfect as this holiday setup when my cat thinks he’s a jaguar climbing a tree in the wild with the tree topper being his prey. But one can pretend, right?
Naturally, it wouldn’t be Christmas around here without a little DIY or two. So I made a giant Pom Pom DIY Tree topper for our holiday corner inspired by this DIY Pom Pom Wall Hang!
It’s actually super easy to make. And it goes perfectly with the retro Martha Stewart ornament designs…
Customizing Christmas Ornaments
I love the way it turned out! Plus, it really ties in the color scheme from the room decor and the pom pom topper.
We never afraid of a little extra color. But we also loved the Martha Stewart frost garland and ornament series by just as they are, too.
Plus they double as SUPER cute keepsake gift toppers!
I left the wreath pretty simple so there were some natural elements to the space.
And I added fun textures with the stockings and colorful pom pom adornments.
Materials And Tools Needed To Make A Pom Pom DIY Tree Topper
- Styrofoam sphere — We used a 6″ ball. But you can make it as big or as small as you want.
- Yarn pom poms — We made custom colors for ours. But you can buy them pre-made here.
- Hot glue gun
- Drill and large drill bit
How To Make A Pom Pom DIY Tree Topper
This is definitely a simple project, but admittedly, it’s going to take you some time depending on how many pom poms you’re making to cover a giant sphere!
All you have to do is drill a sizable hole 1/3 of the way through the styrofoam, making sure that the hole is big enough for the top of the tree to easily fit.
Once you have the hole, you can start hot gluing the pom poms all the way around until it’s nice and fluffy.
Then, you’re all set!
I’m pretty particular about faux trees looking very naturally. And I have to say, this snowy fir totally fits the bill!
It’s tall, the perfect color green, and not too snowy. I love it!
All in all, I think it turned out to be the perfect retro inspired Christmas nook, don’t you?
I’m also all about rounded gift boxes this year, who’s with me on bringing those back?!
Holiday Decor Sources
- Rug from All Modern
- Metallic gold pouf and blue throw from Lulu & Georgia
- Clothing from Boden — See all of the pieces here
- Credenza from West Elm
- Chair from Ikea with our DIY Gold Legs
- Bar cart from World Market
- Orange storage stool from Target
- Pastel gift wrap from LLK&C
- Tree, ornaments, wreath, string lights, and gift wrap ribbon by Martha Stewart for Home Depot
Pom Pom DIY Tree Topper
- Drill and large drill bit
- Hot glue and hot glue gun
- Drill a sizable hole 1/3 of the way through the styrofoam, making sure that the hole is big enough for the top of the tree to easily fit.
- Once you have the hole, you can start hot gluing the pom poms all the way around until it’s nice and fluffy. Then, you’re all set!