I’m super excited that I was able to get my hot-mess self in gear enough to make some holiday wreath meringue macarons for a blogger cookie exchange with some of my faves! Last year I was way too insanely pregnant and overwhelmed to partake, so I’m jumping back on the bandwagon this year, woohoo!
You may remember my everything sweet sugar cookies (which I’ll definitely be making with Gwen this year) from our last cookie exchange, and these macarons are equally colorful and festive.
Since there are about a bazillion classic vanilla macaron recipes, I’ll be sticking with sharing how to decorate your own favorite recipe. Plus you can find allllll of the yummy homemade cookie recipes from by blogger pals linked at the bottom of the post…
Meringue recipe (see below)
Various star icing tips
Colorful Meringue Kisses Recipe
- 2 egg whites room temperature
- 1 vanilla bean pod
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 0.125 tsp salt
- 0.5 cup fine sugar
- 0.25 cup ground chocolate morsels optional for flavor
- gel food colors
- Heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Use a mixer to beat together the egg whites with cream of tartar, salt and scraped vanilla bean pod.
- When whites begin to have stiff peaks, gradually add half the sugar. Add the rest of the sugar once the peaks should become a bit shiny.
- Seperate even amounts of the meringue mixture into bowls to mix in the gel food food colors. Mix completely and then add the mixtures into piping bags.
- Line a baking pan with a silicone mat (or parchment paper) and use the piping bags with various tips and colors of meringue, then bake for 90 minutes to two hours.
- Let them cool slowly in the oven, you'll know they're ready once they release from the baking mat or parchment paper.
- Using royal icing as edible glue to ahere the dots to the tops of your macarons in a circle to create an edible wreath made from meringues!
Be sure to check out the rest of the cookies from the #ChristmasCookieSquad
Chocolate Linzer Cookies on The Effortless Chic
Iced Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies on Pizzazzerie
Christmas Sprinkle Cookie Cups on Inspired by Charm
Gingerbread Egg Nog Cookie Sandwiches on Paper & Stitch
Mini Gingerbread Alphabet Cookies on Lovely Indeed
Classic Frosted Cutout Sugar Cookies on Freutcake
Fudge Dipped Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies on The Sweetest Occasion
Latte Joy Espresso Cookies by Julie Blanner
Mac Hack: Decorating Store-bought Macarons For The Holidays on The Proper Blog
Plus you can see more of our past cookie recipes right here.