After a TON of ups and downs, I am so so excited to say that we finally get to share our finished living room makeover (you can catch the before photos here) with you!
While I was basically crying myself to sleep over our laundry room/first-floor wood flooring install catastrophy, I was by some miracle able to get our wainscotting and fireplace install completed for the living room.
It 150% came with its fair share of interesting moments on account of the fact that everyone in Houston is basically taking whoever they can get for contract work with all of the rebuilding going on after Hurricane Harvey.
Literally, the guy that installed the fireplace and molding took two weeks to finish it, listened to baseball games on full blast on his portable radio while chanting, and peed in our backyard.
Mind you, we live in a townhome with almost no backyard and completely surrounded by other townhomes within arms reach.
Seriously, you can’t make this stuff up. I’m thinking of writing a coffee table book about my renovation experience called “LOL: Renovations While Nesting”.
I’ll let you know how that pans out, but in the meantime, let’s get to the good stuff…
First off, I’ve never been so in love with a sectional sofa in my entire life! I am sooooo happy we found something that’s insanely comfortable and still stylish.
I mean, it has gold legs for crying out loud! So good. We basically went buck wild at Wayfair, and I’m not sorry about it one bit.
I also realized we needed a much larger rug than our old one in order for it to properly fit the room, and this Javari Berry Sunrise rug by Loloi was the perfect accent piece for tying in lots of colors.
I mean, it even goes with the rainbow book nook in our fireplace!
Living Room Artwork
Quick confession: I’ve also never owned legit hand-painted artwork that wasn’t created by yours truly until these abstract prints from Kate Spade.
The texture and color scheme is perfect for the room!
Our Living Room Fireplace
The fireplace is by far the biggest change we made in the room. And it was worth every penny to have installed.
It totally transformed the space into a MUCH cozier room than the previously plain white-walled, high ceiling room that it was before.
It’s an electric fireplace that can either be on just for looks or to actually be a space heater.
Since we live in Texas we don’t really need for anything besides the ambiance. But we had it built to function as both, and I made these cute DIY vents to be built into each side of the mantle.
I just used cheap wooden frames from Michael’s and a staple gun to staple the decorative sheet metal to the back. Add a little spray paint and voila!
The modern shiplap is another one of my favorite accents. I love how dramatic it feels going all the way to the ceiling, and it only cost $250 worth of 1×12 wooden boards to make it from.
I’m not totally sold on how I styled the mantle just yet. It feels a little all over the place and full of trinkets. I’ll do a little more playing around with that, but it’s going to be so fun for Christmas!
What do you think?! I hope you’re prepared to see a loooot more of this space because I just can’t get enough! It feels so bright, yet welcoming now.
Up next is our finished laundry room reveal, so keep an eye out for that one oh-so-soon!
Shop Our Mid Century Living Room Makeover Room Sources
- Dwell Studio Sectional with gold legs in nobletex rain upholstery from Wayfair
- Diamond space throw pillow from Wayfair
- White planter from Wayfair
- Navy cotton throw from Wayfair
- Gold and marble table lamps from Wayfair
- 55″ Belden Recessed Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace from Wayfair
- Leather lounge chairs in brown from Wayfair
- Javari Berry Sunrise Rug from Loloi Rugs also available on Wayfair
- Think Less abstract art painting above sofa from Wayfair
- Pink abstract painting from Kate Spade
- Navy abstract painting from Kate Spade
- Gold drum coffee table from West Elm
- Ivory curtains with gold grommets from Target
- Marble subway tile for fireplace from Lowe’s
- Media console is made from IKEA besta cabinets with a toekick
- Gold mirror above fireplace from Wayfair
- Shelly Round Velvet Sofa Pillows from Urban Outfitters
- Large cabinet door pulls from Amazon
- Gold planter and stand from Target
- Carolos Gold Round Floral Pouf Ottoman from Wayfair
- Gold side table from West Elm
- Peach vase from CB2