Nothing says comfort food quite like chili. But this time we’re making it as Frito Pie Mason Jars topped with plenty of corn chips and your favorite toppings!
Nothing hits the spot like Frito pie. It’s crunchy, cheesy, homey and salty. Not to mention, it’ll satisfy any picky eating kid (which we are dealing with currently).
This easy to please dish is also perfect for game day, birthday parties and picnics.
Serve it in a mason jar, and you’ve now got an elevated and pretty dish for even bridal shower or engagement party! Did you ever think that that Frito pie could be so elegant?!?
Bonus: Because the recipe is served individually, Frito pie mason jars are also ideal for any social distancing gatherings like drive thru baby showers.
What Is A Frito Pie?
Frito pie is classic Midwestern and Southwestern dish similar to a Mexican casserole. It is mainly composed of chili, cheese and crunchy corn chips (typically Frito chips).
Popular add-ons include enchilada sauce, salsa, refrained beans, sour cream, onions, rice and/or jalapeños. Pretty much anything you would garnish tortilla soup with, you could for frito pie.
Frito pie can be cooked on the stovetop or baked in casserole dish or baking dish. Prepping the dish literally calls for throwing the ingredients together in one pan.
Another fun alternative to serve this dish is as a “walking taco” in a Frito bag (or jar) to eat on the go.
Ingredients Needed To Make A Easy Frito Pie Recipe
Small yellow onion diced
Packet of taco seasoning
Salt & Pepper — To taste as desired
Canned chili beans
Canned tomato sauce
Shredded cheddar cheese
Fritos corn chips
Optional toppings — Sour cream, diced green or red onions, guacamole, lettuce, diced tomatoes, jalapeños and bell peppers
Can You Substitute The Ground Turkey?
I opted to go the healthy and the less saturated fat route by using turkey, like we did with our turkey chili recipe.
However, a beef and onion mix is traditionally the protein choice for something heartier.
You may also use ground chicken or ground sausage. Or substitute the meat and double up on beans (or a mixture of beans) for a vegetarian dish.
The Walking Taco | How To Make Frito Pie Mason Jars
1 — In a stove top pan, combine the diced onion, ground turkey, taco seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook on medium-high heat.
2 — Cook the turkey for 5-6 minutes until no longer pink. Then, drain excess grease.
3 — Add the beans and tomato sauce to the pan. Reduce heat and stir on low to let the meat mixture simmer for 10 minutes. Don’t worry if chili appears thicker than usual. It should be thick when making it as a Frito pie.
4 — Preheat your oven or toaster oven to high or about 400 degrees.
5 — Spoon 3/4 cup of chili into mason jars and top with cheese, then the corn chips, and additional cheese.
6 — Place the glass mason jars in the oven for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
7 — Right before serving, add your favorite toppings and a garnish with extra Fritos! Or you can set up a buffet bar for your guest to customize.
Can You Make Frito Pie Ahead Of Time?
This recipe comes together in minutes. But if you’re short in time, you can definitely prep the Frito pie meat mixture in advance.
Make the chili as directed and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
However, hold off on the chips and toppings. You’ll want to assemble the remaining recipe in the jar the day of to avoid soggy chips.
More Fun Bites
Love these frito pie mason jars? We are suckers for mini bites, desserts and drinks. They’re wonderful for gatherings. You don’t have to tend to the food table and can instead tend to your guests.
For more quick and easy recipes, check out a few favorites from our archives below —
- Pecan Cheesecake In Jars: Another recipe served in a jar so no slicing or serving required!
- Crockpot Meatballs: A 5-ingredient classic thrown in a crockpot and served as an appetizer or entree.
- Huli Huli Kebabs: A sweet and sour Hawaiian dish perfect for outdoor grilling and picnicking.
- Boozy Freeze Pops: A single-serving cocktail with a boozy spin on the childhood classic freeze pops.
- One Minute Microwave Mug Cake: The name says it all. It’s a dessert in a mug that doesn’t require an oven to bake.
Frito Pie Mason Jars Recipe
Frito Pie Mason Jars Recipe
- Mason jars
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning 1 packet
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 30 oz canned chili beans 2 cans
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce 1 can
- 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper as desired
- Fritos corn chips
- Sour cream, diced green or red onions, guacamole, lettuce, diced tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeños optional toppings
- In a stove top pan on medium-high heat, combine the diced onion, ground turkey, taco seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the turkey for 5-6 minutes until no longer pink and drain excess grease.
- Add the beans and tomato sauce to the pan. Reduce heat and stir on low to let the meat mixture simmer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven or toaster oven to high or about 400 degrees.
- Spoon 3/4 cup of chili into mason jars and top with cheese, then the corn chips, and additional cheese.
- Place the glass mason jars in the oven for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and a few extra Fritos on top!
Don’t forget to share your frito pie mason jar with us on Instagram using the hashtag #sugarandclothloves. We always love seeing all of your creations! Looking for more quick and delicious recipes? Find them all right here with a few desserts to go along with them!
1 thought on “Frito Pie Mason Jars Recipe”
Your article is very informative and has a lot of information. I really like your effort, keep posting.
<a href=”https://www.buycustomlogo.com/buy-logos.php/ “>Buy Logo</a>