I, Lindsay, have always been obsessed with sequins. There is just something about them that makes me happy. So when I stumbled upon Ashley’s DIY Sequin Marquee Heart, I obviously fell in love, so I decided to do the next best thing – make it into a DIY marquee light cake!
I had so much fun making this! I will admit, waiting for the sequin heart to dry does take a little patience (which I don’t have very much of), but it was so worth it in the end. The combination of the sequin heart and the small led lights make this cake a true showstopper! …
DIY SEQUIN MARQUEE LIGHT CAKE MATERIALS:
- 6″ cake covered in buttercream
- Exacto knife
- Round piping tip
- Confetti Sprinkles
- Piping gel
- Small paint brush
- Gold petal dust
- Small led lights
- Roll out fondant and cut out a heart shape.
- Use round piping tip to create holes in the heart.
- Use small paint brush to paint piping gel all over the heart, and cover with sprinkles.
- Cut two strips of fondant and use piping gel to attach around the base of the heart.
- Mix gold petal dust with a little bit of vodka until it reaches a thick consistency.
- Paint petal dust mixture all over heart until it is covered (You may have to let it dry and do another coat).
- Once the heart is dry, use piping gel to attach it to the cake.
- Use the exacto knife to dig out the buttercream where the holes are.
- Put in lights.
If you ever want to impress guests, this cake is definitely the way to go, don’t you think?! I doubt many people have ever seen a cake that actually lights up!