In case you’re looking to spice up your traditional old fashioned recipe, this Coffee Old Fashioned version is both your favorite coffee and favorite cocktail combined.
Some days you need a coffee and some days, you just need a cocktail. And some days, you need both!
Fathers and father figures are always there for us. They build playhouses, patch scraped knees, pick us up when we fall and dish out all the dad jokes. I, Ashley have secretly grown to love them. Ha!
To thank your pops or your partner for their spirit and love over the years, make them something special for Father’s Day. Leave the macaroni art to the kids, and mix up this Coffee Old Fashioned!
What is an Old Fashioned?
Old Fashioned are a classic for a reason. Touted as one of the first cocktails, it contains spirit, sugar and bitters. It can also be any combination of these three ingredients.
The base spirit can be the go-to bourbon or whiskey, rum, mezcal or other spirits combined with flavored syrups and a plethora of bitter choices, you can really make it your own.
We kept it classic with bourbon here, but added in some coffee liqueur for a kick of caffeine. Along with orange and spice-filled angostura bitters, this Coffee Old Fashioned is the perfect pick-me up to mix-up for Father’s Day this year!
Coffee liqueur — We used Mr. Black Cold Brew.
Expressed orange peel
Whole coffee beans — For garnish
How to Make a Coffee Old Fashioned Cocktail
1 — In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the bourbon, coffee liqueur, syrup and bitters. Shake well until chilled..
2 — Strain into an old fashioned glass with a large ice cube.
3 — Express the orange peel over the glass by squeezing orange peel over glass to release the oils and rubbing around the rim. Drop peel into the glass.
4 — Garnish with coffee beans.
* You may omit the cocktail shaker, and mix the drink directly in the glass.
More Fun Cocktails to Try
If you love easy drinks (like this on) that put a spin on classic cocktail recipes, here are some of my favorites —
Coffee Old Fashioned Recipe
- Cocktail shaker or simply mix the drink in the glass
- 2 oz bourbon
- 1/2 oz coffee liqueur
- 1/4 oz simple syrup or to taste
- 2 dash orange bitters
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 orange peel expressed for garnish
- 3 coffee bean for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the bourbon, coffee liqueur, syrup and bitters. Shake well until chilled.
- Strain into an old fashioned glass with a large ice cube.
- Express the orange peel over the glass by squeezing orange peel over glass to release the oils and rubbing around the rim. Drop peel into the glass.
- Garnish with coffee beans.
Don’t forget to share your Coffee Old Fashioned with us on Instagram using the hashtag #sugarandclothloves. We love seeing all of your creations! Looking for more quick and delicious recipes? You can find them all right here!