Popular at golf clubs, the Transfusion Cocktail is a fruity and slightly tart drink that’s made of vodka, ginger ale and grape juice.
The Transfusion Cocktail is a staple in country clubs and golf courses. And it’s probably a golf drink of choice since it’s highball cocktail.
Meaning it has larger amount of non-alcoholic mixer to its base alcohol. So it’s light and refreshing enough for you to still be able to make it to the 19th hole.
And do not worry because you don’t need to know anything about golf or be in an exclusive country club to enjoy a Transfusion drink.
You can make it at home in a breeze to enjoy a sweet glass of this ruby-red drink. Also, if you ever have a golf-themed party, this is the drink you need to prepare for your guests!
What is a Transfusion Cocktail?
The Transfusion gets its name from its bright beautiful red color.
The Transfusion recipe calls for a vodka base, mixed with Concord grape juice and fresh lime juice and topped off with sparkling ginger ale.
Ingredients Need for a Transfusion Recipe
Grape juice — The classic Transfusion drink recipe calls for Concord grape juice. Most purple grape juice consist of Concord grapes, which contain higher antioxidants than other grape juices.
However, regular grape juice also works if that’s all that you have on hand. Some recipes call for cranberry juice, but we prefer the classic Concord grape juice that is less tart.
Fresh lime juice
Ginger ale — A common choice in cocktails to achieve a sweet fizz and also used in Pumpkin Punch.
Grapes, lime wheels, candied ginger — Optional for garnish to enhance the cocktail
Useful Equipment to Have on Hand to Make This Cocktail
You can easily make this Transfusion recipe straight in a drinking glass.
However, we like to use a good old shake to mix everything well and to chill the ingredients with some ice. We promise you that it’s effortless and that there’s not much tools involved.
To make this cocktail, all you need are:
Jigger — To measure the pour of each liquid.
Highball glass or whiskey glass — The Transfusion drink is typically served in a highball glass. But in this post, we used a whiskey glass since we did not want it as “watered down” by the ginger ale.
Cocktail pick — Optional for the garnish
More Refreshing and Fruity Drinks
So if you are looking for something fruity and refreshing with a ginger kick, then the Transfusion recipe is perfect. It is easy to make and can be enjoyed by anyone!
In the mood for more similar refreshing and fruity cocktails? Check out a few from the archives —
- Sparkling Pimm’s Cup — A spicy and citrus drink muddled with fresh fruit.
- Blood Orange Sangria — White wine combines with fresh squeezed blood oranges
- Strawberry Hennessy — One of our most popular drinks that features a Hennessy cognac base of oak and vanilla notes that is topped off with refreshing bubbles
- Alabama Slammer — A Southern favorite composed of Southern Comfort, Sloe gin and Amaretto.
- 3 oz vodka
- 2 oz grape juice preferably Concord grape juice
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- Ginger ale to top off
- 1 lime wheel optional for garnish
- 1 grape optional for garnish
- 1 candied ginger optional for garnish
- Pour the vodka, grape juice, and lime juice in a cocktail shaker with a couple of ice cubes. Shake well for about 1 minute or until the shaker gets icy cold.
- Add ice to a glass and strain your mixture into it.
- Top off with ginger ale.
- Optional: Garnish with a lime wheel, grape, and candied ginger cube on a cocktail pick.
Don’t forget to share your Transfusion Cocktail with us on Instagram using the hashtag #sugarandclothloves. We always love seeing all of your creations! Looking for more quick and delicious recipes? You can find them all right here with a few desserts to go along with them.