Strawberry Grapefruit Salty Dog — You can make the sweet and sour lovers all very happy with this Strawberry Grapefruit Salty Dog cocktail recipe!
Though I’m usually all about the sweet side of things when it comes to recipes, I’m actually a big tart fan when it comes to drinks. (I have convinced myself it makes me sip them a lot slower).
I’ve even gotten on a major spicy kick lately. (Hello jalapeño and sriracha everything!)
But since Texas weather brings enough heat on its own, I figured sticking with tart yet refreshing would be a good idea for this weekend’s festivities.
Alas, I introduce you to this cute little Strawberry Grapefruit Salty Dog cocktail recipe that we whipped up with Hangar 1 Vodka. (Jared is obsessed with the bottle).
What Is A Salty Dog?
A salty dog cocktail is a drink made of gin or vodka and grapefruit juice. It’s the perfect combo of tart and salty.
I added strawberries to the mix. The good thing about this salty dog recipe is for those of you that like a teeny bit of sour (but not too much), you can just add more strawberry to the mix to sweeten things up.
And vice versa for the sour lovers. Just use less strawberry puree.
Plus, this recipe is a nice tie in with summer and local farm fresh fruits. Fair warning though, these are super easy to drink!
Tools Needed To Make Strawberry Grapefruit Salty Dog Cocktails
- Cocktail shaker
- Highball glasses (but any cocktail glasses will also do)
Ingredients Needed To Make Strawberry Grapefruit Salty Dog Cocktails
- Hangar 1 Straight Vodka
- Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- Strawberry puree
- Coarse sea salt — to rim your glasses
- Optional: grapefruit slice and strawberry — for garnish
How To Make Strawberry Puree?
This salty dog cocktail recipe calls for strawberry puree which you can purchase at the grocery store. However, it’s so easy to make!
Just blend washed strawberries into a food processor or blender until it’s in liquid form but still has pulp.
Depending on your preference, you can sweeten your strawberry puree with sugar or honey.
How To Make Strawberry Grapefruit Salty Dog Cocktails
1 — Rub the rim (the edge) of your glass with a grapefruit slice, and then, dip the rim of your glass in coarse salt.
2 — Fill your glass with ice.
3 — Mix the strawberry puree, grapefruit juice, and vodka in a cocktail shaker with ice until well blended.
4 — Pour the mixture into each glass with a strainer.
5 — Add a strawberry and grapefruit slice for garnishing, and you’re all set for an al fresco cocktail hour!
More Refreshing Summer Cocktails To Try
What’s your go-to refreshing cocktail in the warmer months? Also, anyone have an amazing (and mainly simple) jalapeño cocktail they want to share? I’m in the market for one next!
For more cocktails to cool off with, check out some more of our favorites from the archives —
- 3 Ingredient: Spiked Brazilian Limeade
- Blackberry Sage Margarita
- Boozy Frozen Hot Chocolate
- Elderflower Aperol Spritz
- Frozen Cookies and Cream Polka Dot Martini
- Frozen Three Citrus Margarita
- Peach & Blackberry Bramble
- Peach Iced Tea Cocktail
- Sherry Berry Cocktail
- Spicy Paloma
- Whiskey Dreamsicle Cocktail
Strawberry Grapefruit Salty Dog Cocktail
Strawberry Grapefruit Salty Dog Cocktail Recipe
- Cocktail shaker
- 2 oz Hangar 1 Straight Vodka
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 1/2 oz strawberry puree
- Coarse sea salt for rim
- Strawberry and grapefruit slices for garnish
- Rub the rim the of a glass with a grapefruit slice and then dip the rim of the glass in coarse salt.
- Fill your glass with ice.
- Mix the strawberry puree, grapefruit juice, and vodka in a cocktail shaker with ice until well blended.
- Pour the mixture into each glass with a strainer.
- Garnish with a strawberry and grapefruit slice.
Don’t forget to share your Strawberry Grapefruit Salty Dog cocktail with us on Instagram using the hashtag #sugarandclothloves. We always love seeing all of your creations! Looking for more quick and delicious recipes? Find them all right here with a few bites to go along with them!
This post is made possible by Hangar 1 Vodka. Thank you for supporting the brands we love that keep bigger and better DIY’s, and even sweeter sweets coming straight to your inbox!