This Boozy Frozen Hot Chocolate recipe is an extremely decadent drink and great way to have your hot chocolate and frozen treat too!
As temps are at their highest and pool time is in it’s primetime, so too is frozen drink season!
I whipped up some Strawberry Raspberry Coconut Daiquiris last month, but I wanted something a little less fruity and a little more chocolatey, because who can say no to chocolate!
Remember that over the top frozen hot chocolate that people flocked to NYC for (much like the cronut today)? Oh, food trends!
Well, I, Ashley just realized that I have actually never had one. Not a one! So I recently set off, determined to making one of these sweet, chocolatey, cooling concoctions, with a little kick of course.
Meet the Boozy Frozen Hot Chocolate Cocktail!
Ingredients Needed To Make A Boozy Frozen Hot Chocolate Cocktail
Any recipe I came across for this famous (infamous?) drink called for cocoa powder or worse pre-made hot chocolate mix.
I have never been a fan of those mix packets! Thin and lacking in any rich chocolate flavor, it’s not something I dream about for a delicious hot chocolate drink.
This recipe, on the other hand, is something I will be dreaming about well into winter. (Thank goodness for regular hot chocolate!) A mix of semi-sweet and dark chocolate keeps it from being too cloyingly sweet while providing all of the chocolatey goodness.
In true Craft & Cocktails style, I added in some bourbon to the frozen hot chocolate to make it the perfect after dinner or pool side drink!
Drink Garnish & Topping Ideas
Everything is made a little better with some booze and marshmallows, don’t you think?
These rainbow marshmallows in particular, bring the fun level up a few notches! I used these colorful Craftsman & Wolves ones, but regular marshmallows will do too.
Isn’t this an extremely decadent drink? Oh you betcha, but sometimes you have to live a little! Is this an extremely decadent drink? This boozy frozen hot chocolate is well worth it.
Boozy Frozen Hot Chocolate Cocktail
Boozy Frozen Hot Chocolate Cocktail Recipe
- Sauce pan
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup cream
- 3 pinch salt
- 8 oz bourbon
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 4 oz semi sweet chocolate
- 4 oz dark chocolate
- 3 cup ice
- Whipped cream
- Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly until warm but not boiling.
- Take off the heat and whisk in the dark and semi sweet chocolates. Once the chocolate has melted, whisk in the bourbon, sugar and salt.
- Whisk in the cold cream to cool the mixture. If the mixture is still too warm, let it cool in the fridge for a bit.
- Add the chocolate mixture into a blender with ice. Blend until the ice has fully incorporated.
- Pour into large glasses. Top each glass with whipped cream and garnish with a skewer of marshmallows.