This Cherry Vodka recipe is a refreshing sweet and fruity take on the classic vodka sour.
The Cherry Vodka Sour is a refreshing, sweet frothy cocktail that is a fun twist of the classic vodka sour.
What is a Vodka Sour?
A sour cocktail is composed of a base liquor, citrus (typically lime or lemon juice), and a sweetener (typically simple syrup).
Sour cocktails also usually contain egg whites.
Therefore, a vodka sour’s main ingredient is vodka.
To achieve the cherry flavor, we used Kirsch and Luxardo maraschino cherries syrup for this particular cherry vodka recipe.
What is a Kirsh Liqueur? Can I Substitute It?
Kirsch is a German brandy made of sour cherries. It is colorless and a bit dry.
It is made by distilling the cherries once they go through a fermentation process.
The result is an 80-proof liquor that features a cherry flavor with bitter almond notes.
Kirsch can be drunk neat, on the rocks or used in cocktail making.
What are Luxardo Cherries?
Luxardo cherries are an Italian brand of candied cocktail cherries that are jarred with marasca cherry syrup.
They are the original cocktail cherries and the original maraschino cherries that were invented in 1905.
Luxardo cherries are super dark and firm. Its syrup is infused with the cherries and boasts bitter almond notes.
So when mixing it alongside the Kirsch liqueur, it makes the perfect combo.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make a Cherry Vodka Sour
Kirsch cherry liqueur
How to Make a Cherry Vodka Sour
1 — In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add in the vodka, Kirsch liqueur, lemon juice, orange juice, Luxardo cherry syrup, egg whites and orange bitters.
8 — Shake well for 30 seconds or until the cocktail shaker has completely chilled.
9 — Strain and pour the mixture into a whiskey glass with ice.
10 — Optional: Garnish with an orange wedge and a couple of maraschino cherries on a cocktail pick.
Cherry Vodka Sour Recipe
- 1 1/2 oz vodka
- 1 oz Kirsch Liqueur
- 1 1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 oz orange juice
- 2 dash orange bitters
- 3 tbsp egg white
- 1/2 oz Luxardo cherries syrup
- 2 luxardo cherries optional for garnish
- 1 orange wedge optional for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add in the vodka, Kirsch liqueur, lemon juice, orange juice, Luxardo cherry syrup, egg whites and orange bitters.
- Shake well for 30 seconds or until the cocktail shaker has completely chilled.
- Strain and pour the mixture into a whiskey glass with ice.
- Serve in a whiskey glass with plenty of ice.
- Optional: Garnish with an orange wedge and a couple of maraschino cherries on a cocktail pick.