Easy Fairy Bread Recipe — Sharing my version of fairy bread, with a recipe that’s just as fun and easy to make as it looks!
Updated October 2020
You know me well enough by now to know that I’m sold on anything called fairy bread. Admittedly, the name can however scare off husbands and teenagers.
And by scare off, I mean they may suffer a little hazing once they unpack their lunch to find a rainbow treat.
Everyone else will love it though, including you since this is the easiest sandwich ever!
I am sharing my favorite fairy bread recipe that is bound to be a conversation starter…
What Is Fairy Bread?
Fairy bread is a popular snack from Australia and New Zealand that is commonly served at birthday parties.
The traditional fairy bread recipe uses just three ingredients: bread, butter and sprinkles. This buttered bread dish is typically cut in different shapes.
The origin of its name is unknown. Some people speculate that it came from a poem “Fairy Bread” by Robert Louis Stevenson from his “A Child’s Garden of Verses” published in 1885.
But we really think the rainbow sprinkles is the reason why for its name!
Ingredients And Tools Needed To Make My Version Of Fairy Bread
And as much as I love butter, I put my own twist on an Australian food favorite.
So instead of white bread spread with butter, I opted to make an actual sandwich.
Though it may be sacrilegious to change up Australian fairy bread, who doesn’t love a peanut butter sandwich?!?
- Slices of bread with crust off
- Peanut butter or Nutella
- Cookie cutter
How To Make Peanut Butter Fairy Bread Sandwich
To make my version, spread peanut butter (with a dash of honey) on the bottom slice.
Dust in a layer of sprinkles.
Then, place a cookie cutter down on the top slice of bread to get your desired cutout shape. Press down firmly and remove the cutout.
Sandwich the cut slice on top of the bottom slice.
More Fun Snack And Lunch Ideas
This peanut butter fairy bread sandwich is a cute way to surprise someone with a DIY lunch note card, don’t you think? You could even serve them as finger foods for a party!
I’m basically partial to anything that includes rainbow sprinkles. For more fun and colorful recipes, check out a few of our favorite from the archives —
- All Natural Unicorn Toast — A fun recipe with sweet and savory garnishes
- Sugar Cookie Funfetti Cake — It’s a cookie and cookie with loads and loads of sprinkles!
- Healthy Nut Free Lunches (That Are Kid-Approved) — Quick and easy bagel pizzas, SunButter banana “quesadillas” and pancake sandwiches…
- White Chocolate Funfetti Popcorn — We seriously weren’t lying when we said we loved sprinkles.
Fairy Bread Sandwich
Peanut Butter Fairy Bread Sandwich Recipe
- Cookie cutter
- 2 slices bread crust off
- Peanut butter
- 1 dash honey
- Spread some peanut butter on the bottom slice of bread.
- Add a dash of honey.
- Dust in a layer of sprinkles.
- Press a cookie cutter firmly down on the top slice of bread to get your desired shape. Remove the cutout.
- Place the cut slice on top of the bottom slice.
Don’t forget to share your fairy bread with us on Instagram using the hashtag #sugarandclothloves. We always love seeing all of your creations! Looking for more quick and delicious recipes? You can find them all right here with a few desserts to go along with them!