A spritz cocktail, the Martini Royale is a light sweet and sour drink for aperitivo o’clock.
This Martini Royale cocktail is a very unique aperitif drink, ideal to enjoy before a meal or while dinner is cooking or while all the guests arrive.
It boasts the perfect balance between sweetness and sourness, with a touch of citrus from limes and aromatic freshness from mint.
Like our Martini Spritz, this Martini Royale is a lovely variation on the Spritz cocktail family. A very refreshing and bubbly aperitivo drink prepare the appetite before the main meal.
What Is An Aperitivo?
Aperitivo is a lovely Mediterranean tradition, popular in Italy, Spain and Greece.
Its roots consists one of the main philosophical pillars of the Mediterranean diet, which is slow food and good conversations around a table.
Aperitivo is usually served before lunch or dinner. It features salty appetizers ( like cured meats), cheeses, olives, and almost any small finger food, alongside some drinks like vermouth, beer or wine.
Anything light works like this Martini Royal, a Martini Fiero, Martini Spritz, and Aperol Spritz.
What Goes Into A Martini Royale?
Prosecco wine — This cocktail is usually made with Prosecco wine, an Italian sparkling wine. However, other sparkling wines like Cava or champagne will work.
Make sure to select a wine that is not too sweet. Brut nature, extra brut or brut are ideal since the Martini Bianco is already extremely sweet.
Martini Bianco — Also known as “bianchissimo” (or extra white). Martini Bianco consists of a sweet vanilla flower with other botanicals notes over a base of white wine.
Lime — The juice of one lime for a touch of citrus and aroma.
Mint — To garnish but to also add the final touches of aroma.
Useful Equipment To Make A Martini Spritz Cocktail
Wine goblet — Or any glasses preferred
Cocktail spoon — To stir
For more tasty cocktail recipes, here are a few we like —
- Italian Martini Spritz Cocktail Recipe
- Cream Polka Dot Martini Recipe
- Apple Brandy Cocktail Recipe
- Easy Apple Cider Cocktail Recipe
Martini Royale Recipe
- Wine goblet
- Cocktail spoon
- 3 oz Martini Bianco
- 3 oz Prosecco
- 1 oz lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 spin mint leaves for garnish
- 1 lime wedge for garnish
- Crushed ice cubes
- Best consumed right after making it.
- You can substitute Prosecco wine with Cava or champagne.
- Do not substitute lime juice with bottled lime juice, only freshly squeezed juice will do.
- To smack or slap the mint: Place the mint leaves or sprig in one hand and gently smack it with the other warm up and release the oils.
- Fill 3/4 of a wine goblet with crushed ice (preferable big chunks).
- Add the freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Add the Martini Bianco.
- Add the Prosecco and mix gently with the cocktail spoon.
- Snack the mint so it releases the aromas before adding it in the glass.
- Finish with a lime wedge.
Don’t forget to share your Martini Royale with us on Instagram using the hashtag #sugarandclothloves. We always love seeing all of your creations! Looking for more quick and delicious recipes? You can find them all right here with a few desserts to go along with them.
8 thoughts on “Simple Martini Royale Cocktail Recipe”
LOVED this! Adding it to the weekend cocktail rotation!
Thank you, Courtney!
I am a huge prosecco fan so this cocktail is right up my alley! It’s fun and delicious!
So happy to hear! We are huge fans of Prosecco and bubbles too!
The BEST cocktail recipe ever!! So so delicious! Can’t wait to make again & again!!
this is my new favorite drink, thank you so much for sharing this!
You’re welcome, Monica! XOXO