This Aperol Tonic is one of the easiest and most refreshing cocktails ever made with its lovely bright orange color and bittersweet flavor.
The Aperol Tonic is beautiful bright and bold thanks to the Aperol liquor’s vibrant orange hue.
The cocktail features a bittersweet flavor profile with the mixture of bitterness from the Aperol and slight sweetness from the tonic water.
And because it only requires two main ingredients, it’s one of the easiest cocktails to make!
Known for its vibrant orange color, Aperol is an Italian bitter spirit. It gets its name for the Italian slang word “aperitivio”.
Italian bitter liquors get their bitterness when they are infused with different herbs and botanicals.
And this bitterness prepares your stomach and appetite for a meal which is why Aperol is in many aperitivio (pre-meal) cocktails.
If you haven’t tried Italian bitters before, then Aperol is nice introductory liquor since it’s sweeter than most.
What Ingredients Go Into an Aperol Tonic Cocktail?
Aperol — The main ingredient. Features a bright orange color and a sweet bitter flavor with orange notes.
Tonic water — The sparkling component of this cocktail. Its sweetness compliments the Aperol.
Orange — For garnish
Useful Equipment To Make an Aperol Tonic Cocktail
Step by Step Guide on How To Make an Aperol Tonic Cocktail
1 — Fill 3/4 of the glass of your choice with ice.
2 — Cut a couple of orange wedges and place them inside the glass close to its walls.
3 — Pour in Aperol and tonic and mix gently with the cocktail spoon.
4 — Garnish each glass with an orange slice sitting on top of the ice. If your glass is too wide, make a slit in the peel so it can sit on the brim of the glass.
— As with any cocktail made with a fizzy component, the Aperol Tonic is best consumed right after being made.
— For a tangier taste, add a slice of lemon.
If you like this cocktail, try substituting the Aperol with Campari (another Italian aperitivio liquor) for equally delicious results!
For more refreshing cocktails like the Aperol Tonic, check out a few of our favorites from the archives —
- Sparkling Mint Meyer Lemonade Recipe: A delicious and refreshing drink that will have your guests asking for seconds.
- Autumn Fig Sangria: The perfect drink for a chilly fall day is one that warms you up from the inside out.
- Paper Plane Spritz: Aperol and sparkling wine recipes are perfect for summer, but this time around we’re adding the taste of bourbon!
- Strawberry & Rose Sorbet Champagne: Just take a sip of this recipe and your sweet tooth will be satisfied.
- Sparkling Pimm’s Cup: This refreshing wine cocktail has a unique twist.
Aperol Tonic Cocktail Recipe
- Tall glass or wine goblet
- Cutting board
- Cocktail straw optional
- 2 oz Aperol
- Tonic water
- 2 Orange wedge for garnish
- 1 orange peel for garnish
- Consume immediately.
- For a tangier taste, add a slice of lemon.
- Fill 3/4 of the glass of your choice with ice.
- Cut a couple of orange wedges and place them inside the glass close to its walls.
- Pour in Aperol and tonic and mix gently with the cocktail spoon.
- Garnish each glass with an orange slice sitting on top of the ice. If your glass is too wide, make a slit in the peel so it can sit on the brim of the glass. Finish with a cocktail straw.
- Add a couple of cocktail straws and enjoy!
Don’t forget to share your aperol tonic recipe with us on Instagram using the hashtag #sugarandclothloves. We always love seeing all of your creations! Looking for more quick and delicious recipes? Find them all right here with a few bites to go along with them!