We’re getting you ready for one killer (no pun intended) Halloween party with some creepy cocktails! First up, is an easy Tiki drink, the Shrunken Skull Cocktail.
If Halloween brings us nothing else, it’s an excellent excuse to pile anything you could ever dream of into a cocktail.
And it’s considered acceptable as long as it has a crazy name like “witch’s brew” or “ghoul’s guts” (remember this one?!) to go along with it.
Lucky for you, we teamed up with Robin from Double Trouble to bring you four different creepy cocktails that look crazy cool and still taste amazing, too!
First up, the Shrunken Skull. And when it comes to tiki cocktails, Robin is a purist.
Like this daring Classic Zombie Cocktail Recipe that you can easily whip up this Halloween!
Seriously, the lady know’s what’s up. And this Tiki-inspired Halloween cocktail is authentic!
Tiki Cocktail | What is a Shrunken Skull?
A Shrunken Skull Cocktail is a Tiki drink similar to a Mai Tai. It’s composed of two different rums, lime juice, and grenadine.
It’s typically served in a Tiki skull mug (hence, the name). Renowned Tiki historian and mixologist, Jeff “Beachbum” Berry believes that the Shrunken Skull was originally really the Skull & Bones Cocktail from the mid-century.
Ingredients Needed to Make an Easy Shrunken Skull Cocktail
Gold Puerto Rican rum or any gold rum
Fresh lime juice
Real grenadine or pomegranate simple syrup
Black sprinkles — For garnishing
Cherries and pineapple cubes — For garnishing
Mint spring — For garnishing
Cocktail skewer — For garnishing
Dry ice — Here’s how you can use dry ice for drink effects.
Is Dry Ice Safe to Eat?
For a smoky creepy effect, the recipe calls for dry ice. Dry ice is safe to use in cocktails.
However, please be aware that the dry ice is for presentation purposes only and not for consumption. Dry ice will not alter the flavor of the drink.
Make sure that dry ice sinks to the bottom as it should never be ingested or touched. When handling dry ice, wear gloves or use a utensil.
Creepy Cocktails | How To Make A Shrunken Skull Cocktail
All you have to do with this one is combine liquid and the ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Shake with ice. And then pour the cocktail unstrained into a mug over crushed ice. Easy, right?
The real showstopper here is the garnishing for the presentation!
String the fruit onto the skewer to make a cocktail kabob. The more the cherries bleed color onto the pineapple, the better!
Next, sprinkle the entire drink with black sprinkles.
Right before serving, drop in a little dry ice. You’ll definitely be impressing your friends when the party arrives.
More Halloween Recipes To Try
The Shrunken Skull Cocktail looks far more impressive than it is when it comes to making it.
Plus, you can very easily make big batches with just pre-made fruit kabobs or cinnamon sticks on the side.
Guest can then make their own Halloween drink throughout the night. It would be a theatrical treat!
More for creep cocktails and bites, check out a few of our favorites from the archives —
- Spooky Stencil Cocktails
- Bubbly Spiked Chai Latte
- Ghoul’s Guts Shots
- Boozy Dirt Cups
- Ghost Macarons
- Mini Monster Eyeball Donuts
- Truffle Monster Cupcake Toppers
Creepy Cocktail | Shrunken Skull Cocktail
Shrunken Skull Cocktail Recipe
- Cocktail skewer
- 1 oz Gold Puerto Rican rum
- 1 oz Demerara rum
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 oz real grenadine or pomegranate simple syrup
- Black sprinkles for garnishing
- Cherries and pineapple cubes for garnishing
- Mint sprig optional for granishing
- Dry ice
- Dry ice is safe to use in cocktails. Please be aware that the dry ice is for presentation purposes only. It will not alter the flavor of the drink. Make sure that dry ice sinks to the bottom as it should never be ingested or touched.
- Combine the liquid ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake with ice.
- Pour into a mug unstrained over crushed ice .
- String the fruit onto the skewer to make a min cocktail kabob. The more the cherries bleed color onto the pineapple, the better!
- Sprinkle the entire cockail with black sprinkles.
- Serve the cocktail with a little dry ice. Add the dry ice only until you are ready to serve immediately.