In case you’re looking for an easy Halloween dessert idea, these Halloween macarons with Ghost Peeps toppers are super cute and just as easy to make! Plus, you can also incorporate them on any dessert.
It’s not Halloween around Sugar & Cloth until we’ve topped a dessert with another dessert, then topped that with another dessert! That’s basically all we’re doing here with these ghost macarons for an easy Halloween dessert idea.
And we’re not mad about it! Dessert hacks are the best when you’re short on time. Plus, they’re perfectly spooky and cute. We also cheated and used a few key ingredients so that recreating these is EXTRA easy to do.
First things first, note that you can recreate the concept of these melting ghosts to top just about any dessert of your choice with! Not everyone is a macaron fan and that’s totally okay.
We just so happen to have a macaron addiction. So we thought they looked cute this way! Your kids will love them, and your adult friends will think they’re totally luxe…
Ingredients and Tools Needed
Chocolate macarons — For a quick and easy DIY idea, use pre-made macaron packs. We found a dozen pack at Trader Joe’s in the freezer section for under $20! They’re seriously so good and so cheap! However, we also have an easy guide on how to make macarons.
How to Make Ghost Toppers for Halloween Macarons
1 — To make sure that the marshmallow ghosts aren’t too top-heavy to where they fall off of the macarons, use a sharp knife to cut them in half.
2 — Next, smear a little dollop of marshmallow fluff onto the top of the macaron.
The marshmallow fluff will slowly spread over the edge on its own. For this particular project, it’s a Halloween dessert so it’s okay if the marshmallow oozes.
However, if you add too much of fluff, then the ghost will slide right off. So there’s definitely a happy medium situation with these.
3 — Once you’ve prepped your ghosts by cutting them in half and applying the marshmallow fluff, stick the ghost marshmallow on top and lightly torch the edges for a toasted look.
Again, if they start to slide too much, use less of the marshmallow fluff. There’s no need for a pipping bag. The slightly mess less perfect look fits with the Halloween theme.
In case, you’re not a marshmallow fluff fan, you can easily skip the extra dollop if you’d like.
Just be sure to really get the bottom of your peep nice and gooey with the handheld torch before sticking the bottom of the ghosts to the top of macarons.
Serve the Halloween macarons quickly if you prefer the gooey style or let them cool in the fridge completely to save for a party that week.
How to Store Dessert Ghost Macarons
To keep your Halloween dessert tasting extra yummy, be sure to store these DIY Ghost Macarons in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.
They’re delicious served chilled or at room temperature. So it’s totally up to you!
How Long Will the Halloween Macarons Last?
If stored correctly in an airtight container in the fridge, your DIY Ghost Macarons will last about a week. This gives you plenty of time to make them in advance of your Halloween party!
Easy Halloween Ideas to Recreate
What do you think?! A simple Halloween dessert idea but totally effective, right?! We’re thinking about making a similar version for Christmas macarons,too!
Looking for other easy Halloween ideas? Here are some of our favorite Halloween DIY’s, costume and decor ideas, desserts and cocktail recipes below:
- Easy 5-Minute Pumpkin Drink Decal
- Ghoul’s Guts Ghost Shots
- Family Halloween Costume Ideas
- Couples Costume Ideas
- Costume Ideas For Kids
- DIY Halloween Wigs & Lashes
- Not So Spooky Halloween Door Decor
- Spooky DIY Halloween Bar Cart
- Halloween DIY Floral Centerpiece
Ghost Dessert Toppers Recipe
- 12 chocolate macaron or top on cookies or cupcakes
- 12 Peeps Marshmallow Ghost halved
- Marshmallow fluff optional
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the marshmallow ghosts in half. This will ensure that the ghosts are not too top-heavy to where they fall off of the macarons.
- Smear a little dollop of marshmallow fluff onto the top of the macaron. The marshmallow fluff will slowly spread over the edge on it’s own. Do not use too much marshmallow fluff or the ghost peeps will slide right off.
- Stick the halved ghost peep on top of the marshmallow fluff layer and lightly torch the edges for a toasted look.
- If you opt not to use any marshmallow fluff, torch the bottom of the ghost like until it's nice and goeey and stick it directly on top of the macaron.
- Serve immediately if you prefer the gooey looky or let them cool in the fridge completely.
Don’t forget to share your Halloween macarons with us on Instagram using the hashtag #sugarandclothloves. We always love seeing all of your creations! And if you’re looking for more quick DIY’s find them all right here!