We spiked your traditional dirty chai latte for a perfectly creepy Halloween cocktail
I’m a huge fan of what I like to call “bubbles” or boba for the more technical people out there.
It’s like a game to try and sip all of the bubbles through the straw as quick as I can. Which could be a pretty dangerous game with this particular bubbly Spiked Dirty Chai Latte recipe.
But then again, you can’t go too wrong with this deliciousness!
We brought Robin of Double Trouble in to share her twist on this classic drink for a perfectly creepy (hello, coffee ice cube skulls), yet perfectly tasty fall cocktail.
Speaking of skulls, she also created this easy Tiki drink, the Shrunken Skull Cocktail for us.
Of course, you can always skip the liquor and whip this up for your next morning coffee, though it may make the ice skulls a little more questionable.
But hey, it takes a village, you know?!
What Is A Dirty Chai Latte?
The traditional chai latte drink is composed of chai tea, milk, and honey.
A dirty chai latte consists of all the above ingredients but includes espresso. So it’s a combination of tea and coffee, and it’s sweeter and more caffeinated!
Ingredients and Tools Needed To Make A Spiked Dirty Chai Latte
5 oz unsweetened chai tea
3/4 oz honey mix — 1 part honey, 1 part water
3/4 oz heavy whipping cream — To make your own whipping cream. You can purchase store-brought cream but homemade whipping cream is so easy to make and tastes much better!
1 1/2 oz spiced rum
1/2 oz Allspice Dram — A simple spicy liqueur flavored with allspice berries. Available at the liquor store or you can make it yourself.
Optional: Cold brew coffee or chilled espresso — To make the skull ice cubes
How To Make A Spiked Dirty Chai Latte
Optional: Prepare cold brew coffee or chilled espresso to freeze overnight for the skull ice cubes.
In advance: Cook and prepare large black boba pearls according to package directions. Chill, strain, drizzle with honey until lightly coated, cover and refrigerate.
While the chai tea mixture is cooling, whip the heavy cream to soft peaks.
Fill a glass with ice and 2 ounces of the chilled boba pearls.
Pour the chai tea, spiced rum and Allspice Dram into a cocktail shaker and shake well. Strain into the glass.
Top with 2 dashes of Angostura bitters for a layered effect.
Garnish with whipping cream, nutmeg and prepared frozen iced coffee skulls.
More Chai Latte Recipes To Try
So what do you think?! I’m seriously telling you, this drink is the bomb dot com, and you know it’s gotta be good if I’m willing to say that phrase publicly on the internet!
And a big thanks to Robin for being our go-to cocktail connoisseur!
If you’re huge chai latte fans like us, check out a few of our favorite recipes below —
Spiked Dirty Chai Latte Recipe
- Cocktail shaker
- Skull ice cube tray
- 5 oz chai tea unsweetened
- 3/4 oz honey mix 1 part honey, 1 part water
- 3/4 oz heavy whipping cream to garnish
- 1 1/2 oz spiced rum
- 1/2 oz Allspice Dram
- 2 dash Angostura bitters
- Black boba tapioca pearls
- Nutmeg to garnish
- Cold brew coffee or chilled espresso optional for skull ice cubes
- Optional: Prepare cold brew coffee or chilled espresso to freeze overnight into the ice tray for the skull ice cubes.
- In advance: Cook and prepare large black boba pearls according to package directions. Chill, strain, and then drizzle with the honey mix until lightly coated. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare unsweetened chai tea according to package directions. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- While the chai tea mixture is cooling, whip the heavy cream to soft peaks.
- Fill a glass with ice and 2 ounces of the chilled boba pearls.
- Pour the chai tea, spiced rum and Allspice Dram into a cocktail shaker and shake well. Strain into the glass.
- Top with 2 dashes of Angostura bitters for a layered effect.
- Garnish with whipping cream, nutmeg and prepared frozen iced coffee skulls.