DIY Cactus Christmas Tree — This little Christmas cactus is the perfect decor idea for small spaces and warm weather! It’s super easy to make and won’t prick you either.
For those of you that aren’t as eager as the rest of us to stash away the turkey decor and fall leaves just yet, look away!
We’re already busting out the Christmas trees and 1,000 yards of wadded up twinkle lights. And this DIY Cactus Christmas Tree is ready for it’s big debut!
If you’re in Texas like us (or really enjoy the desert), then you’ll love this play on a traditional mini tree idea.
We made this little guy as part of our nod to holiday travel series where we made different types of Christmas trees inspired from landscapes all over!
This one just so happened to hit very close to home for us, but anyone who loves warm weather and a good Christmas craft that lasts year after year will appreciate this one.
I’ll let you in on the super simple secret to decorating your own DIY Cactus Christmas Tree…
Materials For Decorating Your Cactus Christmas Tree
Before we jump straight to the DIY for the cactus Christmas tree, here are a few ideas for materials to use as decorations for your project —
- Felt balls
- Mini pom poms
- Pom trimming or ribbon (like we used!)
- Felt confetti
- Mini bows
- Mini Christmas ornaments
- Ribbon or yarn
Materials And Tools Needed To Make A DIY Cactus Christmas Tree
Obviously, you’re welcome to decorate a real cactus Christmas tree if you’d like. But since we have little kids running around the house, I chose to do a faux cactus instead.
Another benefit of decorating a faux cactus is that you can easily glue on your decorations without actually hurting the integrity of the plant like you would with a real one.
Easy DIY Cactus Christmas Tree
- Hot glue and hot glue gun
- "Plant" the fake cactus in a planter of your choice by pressing it snuggly down into an empty planter. You can also hot glue the bottom of the faux cactus in place in the bottom of the planter if needed. I also liked the idea of using planter stuffing or glued sand around the based of the cactus so it really looked potted, but it's definitely optional!
- Hot glue the pom pom trim around the cactus in a swirling motion. You can glue as many or as few strands on top as you'd like.
- Glue the colorful felt balls on to the cactus randomly.
- You can also top each point on your cactus with a bright felt ball to serve as the Christmas tree topper too!