Banana bread is one of those classic stand-by’s that never get old. In fact, I, Alyssa, feel like it was essentially a staple in our house when I was growing up.
It’s perfect for breakfast, a snack or dessert. Plus, it’s a great way to use up over-ripe bananas, which, if we’re being honest, who doesn’t always have a few of those hanging around?
While a classic never goes out of style, it’s fun to switch things up every once and a while. Enter this banana bread with whipped mocha mascarpone topping.
Typically, when it comes to banana bread, I’m a purist in that I think it tastes better without any added nuts, other fruit or chocolate chips. However, for this recipe, chocolate chips in the bread aren’t an option, they’re a necessity.
Not only do they make the bread itself yummier, they’re also perfect for bringing out the flavors of the mascarpone topping.
Speaking of the topping, it’s so good you may want to skip the bread altogether and eat it straight from the spoon. Don’t worry. I won’t judge you if you do.
When it comes to classics like banana bread, do you prefer to eat them as is, or do you enjoy new takes on old favorites? I can never decide so I usually just pick both!
Banana Bread with Whipped Mocha Mascarpone
- 0.25 cup Unsalted butter
- 3 Very ripe bananas
- 0.75 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1.5 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 0.75 cup Chocolate chips
Whipped Mocha Mascarpone Topping
- 8 oz Mascarpone, softened
- 4 tbsp Powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Instant coffee (depending on how strong of a coffee flavor you want!)
- 2 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 0.25 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium-size microwavable bowl, microwave the butter until melted, about 40-60 seconds.
- Mash in the bananas then mix in the sugar and egg. Lastly, stir in the dry ingredients and chocolate chips, making sure not to over-mix. Pour into the prepared pan and baking until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 45-55 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the mascarpone, powdered sugar, coffee, cocoa powder and vanilla until well combined.
- Slice the banana bread, spread with some mascarpone topping and enjoy!
She adores the beach, has an unhealthy obsession with striped shirts, loves a good margarita and has a fierce sweet tooth. When she’s not working, she can usually be found planning her next meal, her next outfit or her next getaway.