Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe — We took the classic banana bread recipe up a notch with a chocolate chip filling and a whipped mocha mascarpone toping.
Banana bread is one of those classic stand-by’s that never get old. In fact, I, Alyssa, feel like it was essentially a staple in our house when I was growing up.
It’s perfect for breakfast, a snack or dessert. Plus, it’s a great way to use up over-ripe bananas, which, if we’re being honest, who doesn’t always have a few of those hanging around?
While a classic never goes out of style, it’s fun to switch things up every once and awhile. Enter this banana bread with whipped mocha mascarpone topping recipe!
Typically, when it comes to banana bread, I’m a purist in that I think it tastes better without any added nuts, other fruit or chocolate chips. However, for this recipe, chocolate chips in the bread aren’t an option. They’re a necessity!
Not only do chocolate chips make the bread itself yummier, they’re also perfect for bringing out the flavors of the mascarpone topping.
Speaking of the topping, it’s so good you may want to skip the bread altogether and eat it straight from the spoon. Don’t worry. I won’t judge you if you do.
Ingredients Needed To Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Unsalted butter
- Ripe bananas
- Granulated sugar — You may substitute this for brown sugar if it’s a matter of preference. The sweetness level will be the same but because brown sugar contains molasses the banana bread may have a different texture.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Chocolate chips
Ingredients Needed To Make The Whipped Mocha Mascarpone Topping
- Mascarpone cheese — It is important to use softened mascarpone.
- Powdered sugar
- Instant coffee — Amount used is dependent on how strong of a coffee flavor you would like.
- Cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract
How To Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
In a medium-size microwavable bowl, microwave the butter until melted, about 40-60 seconds.
Mash in the bananas with the melted butter. Then, mix in the sugar and egg.
Lastly, stir in the remaining dry ingredients (all purpose flour, baking soda and salt) and chocolate chips. Make sure not to over-mix.
Next, pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Bake the mixture for about 45-55 minutes until golden brown. Or insert a knife or toothpick in the middle, and if it comes out clean, then the banana bread is done and ready.
Immediately, remove the bread from the pan. Do not allow the bread to cool in the pan or the bread will be turn into a soggy banana cake.
How To Make The Whipped Mocha Mascarpone Topping
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the softened mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, instant coffee, cocoa powder and vanilla until well combined.
It is important that the mascarpone is softened before mixing. This ensures that the mascarpone will blend well with the other ingredients.
Mascarpone is too warm at room temperature. You can take it out of the refrigerator 15 minutes before make the topping so that it is softened but still chilled.
The recipe calls for one teaspoon of instant coffee. But you can use more or less, depending on how strong of a coffee flavor you would like.
Whip until stiff peaks form. It should have a whipped cream texture.
And that’s it! Wasn’t that easy? The whipped mascarpone is a great recipe to top on any dessert or fruit.
Slice the banana bread, spread with some mascarpone topping and enjoy!
How To Store Banana Bread
Don’t forget that you should remove the bread from the loaf pan immediately after taking it out in the oven to avoid it from getting soggy.
If you have any leftover banana bread, cool it completely at room temperature.
Store it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or tin foil because bread can dry out quickly. It will keep in refrigerator for one week.
You can also store it in the freezer for three months in an airtight container or freezer wrap.
Always take the bread out of the pan almost immediately after it comes out of the oven. The longer you leave your bread in the pan, the soggier the bottom of the bread will become.
How To Store The Whipped Mocha Mascarpone
Store any leftover whipped mocha mascarpone separately from the chocolate chip banana bread in an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Keep in mind that it won’t be as fresh so I would recommend finishing the whipped mascarpone in a few days.
More Easy Bread Recipes To Try
- Chocolate Orange Monkey Bread
- Irish Soda Bread Knots
- Nutella Stuffed Monkey Bread
- Hot Chocolate Bread
- Fairy Bread
When it comes to classics like banana bread, do you prefer to eat them as is, or do you enjoy new takes on old favorites? I can never decide so I usually just pick both! And everyone loved this recipe!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread With Whipped Mocha Mascarpone Recipe
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread with Whipped Mocha Mascarpone Recipe
- Microwavable medium-size bowl
- Loaf pan (9-inch)
- Small bowl
For the chocolate chip banana bread:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 banana very ripe
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
For the whipped mocha mascarpone topping:
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese softened
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp instant coffee amount depends on how strong of a coffee flavor you want
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
To make the chocolate chip banana bread:
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium-size microwavable bowl, microwave the butter until melted, about 40-60 seconds.
- Mash in the bananas (the texture should be smooth) with the melted butter.
- Mix in the sugar and egg.
- Stir in the remaining dry ingredients (all purpose flour, baking soda and salt) and fold in the chocolate chips. Make sure not to over-mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the mixture in the oven for about 45-55 minutes until golden brown. Insert a knife in the middle, and if it comes out clean, then the banana bread is done and ready.
- Immediately, remove the bread from the pan. Do not allow the bread to cool in the pan or the bread will be turn soggy.
To make the whipped mocha mascarpone topping:
- In a small bowl, stir together the mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, coffee, cocoa powder and vanilla until well combined.
- Whip until stiff peaks form.
- Serve with the chococlate chip banana bread.