Rattan is all the rage right now and we’re applying it to this easy DIY Ikea tv stand hack for a simple storage unit hack for your bedroom or living room!
If you’ve been reading the blog for any length of time, then you know we LOVE a good Ikea hack!
Combine that with our current love of all things rattan and our need for storage beneath the TV in our bedroom, and you’ve got our DIY rattan Ikea TV unit!
Plus, you can make this in whatever colors or size combinations for your home decor preferences… It’s basically a glorified Ikea entertainment unit… except it’s in our bedroom.
Sure, some people opt for having no TV in their bedroom and others opt for a full entertainment situation. Clearly, we’re the latter…
Materials and Tools Needed to Make A DIY Ikea TV Stand Or TV Cabinet
This DIY IKEA hack storage unit is super simple to recreate, but it does require a few different supplies.
Don’t be intimidated by this materials list though. It’s seriously as simple as combining all of the pieces together!
Materials and Tools for a DIY IKEA TV Cabinet
Box cutter or rotary cutter
Straight edge ruler
Hot glue and hot glue gun
Drill and bits
Handles of your choice — We used these C-half circle pulls.
Finished pine board
How To Make A DIY Ikea TV Stand
Step 1 – First, assemble the IKEA best cabinet frame but be sure to leave the doors off.
Step 2 – Rather than using the BESTA legs twist the natural wood legs onto the bottom of the frames instead.
Step 3 – Using a box cutter or rotary tool and a straight edge, ut the grasscloth to fit inside the edge of the door frame on top of the glass.
You could easily cut the grasscloth to fit behind the glass, but I liked the look of a matte finish.
Step 4 – Once your grasscloth is cut to size, use the Weldbond glue to adhere the sheets to the glass Besta door.
Use the hot glue gun and cane trim to glue and edge pieces all around the grasscloth edges for a more finished look.
Step 5 – While the grasscloth glue is drying, you can stain the wood tops for your BESTA cabinets in the wood color of your choice.
If you’re savvy, you can use a table or rotary saw to cut the wood to fit the top of the cabinets, including the width of the doors, which is 16 3/4 deep by 47 1/4 wide.
If you’re not confident in cutting your own wood, you can ask your local home improvement store to size it for you.
Step 6 – Now, measure and mark for installing your handles using the drill and drill bits.
Step 7 – Once you’ve attached the handles and grasscloth fronts, you can place the wood on top with wood glue and clamps.
Since we combined three sets of the BESTA cabinets to create a custom-length IKEA tv stand, we only used two long pieces of wood as the topper rather than once for each BESTA cabinet.
IKEA TV Stand Alternatives
Though we used the IKEA Besta cabinets for this TV Stand, you could easily use other IKEA furniture options as well.
You could create a statement piece of furniture using the Ikea Kallax unit (which we used for our DIY Playroom Idea), IKEA Lack TV stand, Ikea Lack shelving unit, or Ikea Billy bookcases.
Rather than applying the rattan paper to the cabinets, you could use them as accents on the shelves or apply them to Kallax bins.
I love the final result! It looks very custom without being overly complicated or expensive to DIY either.
It’s definitely a WAY more affordable option than a lot of the rattan media cabinets and storage units out there these days.
Adding a reclaimed wood top to this piece (as we did with our DIY Ikea Vanity Hack) would make for another really cool take on it, don’t you think?!
We also used the Besta cabinets in our living room makeover to create faux built-ins for another tv storage unit option.
More Ikea Hack Projects
You can see more of our Ikea hack projects for the home right here —
- Ikea hack bar cart
- DIY Ikea hack ice cream cart
- How to make a DIY Ikea hack floating credenza
- Prepping for guests with an Ikea hack dresser
- Ikea bed hack: DIY wooden headboard
- Our Ikea Kitchen and Kitchen Cabinets
DIY Ikea TV Stand Or TV Cabinet
DIY Ikea TV Stand: How to Hack A Rattan Ikea TV Unit
- Box cutter or rotary cutter
- Straight edge ruler
- Hot glue and hot glue gun
- Drill and bits
- Please be aware that the cost of this DIY is dependent on how long you would like your stand/cabinet to be.
- If you’re placing a large TV on the stand, we recommend a Besta support leg.
- Assemble the IKEA best cabinet frame but be sure to leave the doors off.
- Rather than using the BESTA legs, twist the natural wood legs onto the bottom of the frames instead.
- Using a box cutter or rotary tool and a straight edge, but the grasscloth to fit inside the edge of the door frame on top of the glass. You could easily cut the grasscloth to fit behind the glass, but I liked the look of a matte finished.
- Once your grasscloth is cut to size, use the Weldbond glue to adhere the sheets to the glass Besta door.
- Use the hot glue gun and cane trim to glue and edge piece all around the grasscloth edges for a more finished look.
- While the grasscloth glue is drying, you can stain the wood tops for your BESTA cabinets in the wood color of your choice.
- Measure and mark for installing your handles using the drill and drill bits.