If you’re looking for a fun, easy-to-make drink that tastes great and looks even better, look no further than our how-to-make jello shots guide! It’s perfect for parties or any occasion.
No one ever said jello shots had to be boring! Not only can you make simple and delicious jello shots, but you can also make them in custom colors with this easy how-to…
We are definitely no strangers to the classic jello shot cups! That said, we do like to pride ourselves on spicing them up a bit, like our champagne jello shots.
Rather than plain old berry blue jello powder and plain plastic cups, we prefer giving them a twist with different flavored vodkas or white rum and a pop of color.
If you want to bring back a classic childhood flavor with a fun adult twist! Try our Gummy Bear Shot recipe which is fruity and incredibly tasty.
You can also customize these jello shots to match your party color scheme by using unflavored gelatin and adding your own food coloring.
Like these colorful Red, White, and Blue Jello Shots for your Fourth of July holiday.
How to Make Jello Shots
There are several different ways you can make Jell-O shots depending on your preference of liquor and flavors.
The simplest way to make them is by using a prepackaged flavor of jello and a smooth vodka such as Absolute or Smirnoff.
All you have to do is prepare the flavored jello gelatin using boiling water, then add your choice of vodka to a mixing bowl after it’s cooled.
The rule of thumb is to use 2/3 measuring cup of liquor to three standard boxes of jello. If you’re making several boxes for a larger gathering, you’ll add more liquor accordingly.
Our favorite trick is to use unflavored gelatin and add your own food color for a custom party table!
Tips for Making Jello Shots
— To make custom jello colors, use a white liquor such as Rumhaven that has its own flavor. Then add a dash of food coloring to create custom shots.
— Be sure to not add too much liquor or the jello won’t set correctly and will have a watery consistency.
How to Choose the Right Liquor and Ingredients
You don’t need to break the bank when it comes to choosing a smooth liquor. You don’t want an overwhelming liquor taste, so getting a bottle of smooth liquor will go a long way in making the best jello shots.
Also, keep in mind what flavor combinations you’re wanting to make. For instance, you can use Bacardi rum mixed with Island Pineapple jello for a fun tiki jello shot.
How to Store Jello Shots
The number one question we get asked is “how long do jello shots last?” You can easily store shots in the refrigerator to make them just before a party.
While jello holds up well in the fridge, you should consume them within 1-2 weeks for best flavor.
If you’ve made extras and want to keep them on hand for future parties or to make well in advance, you can store them in the freezer as well.
Toppings to Use for the Best Jello Shots
There’s one important thing to note when it comes to topping shots with a festive garnish.
Because the jello is water-based, you’ll want to be sure to garnish them just before serving so that the toppings don’t become watered down and spread.
For instance, the food coloring of sprinkles will slowly condensate and spread if you add them too soon before serving.
Fun topping ideas to use for gelly shots —
Edible gold foil (like on our popular champagne jello shots recipe)
Crushed cookie crumbles such as Oreos or graham crackers
If you’re looking for more shot recipes and ideas, you can find our favorites below! —
- Edible Flower Vodka Jello Shots
- Mango Jello Bites
- Peppermint Eggnog Milkshake Shots
- Creme de Menthe Shots
- Christmas Cookie Ice Cream Shots
How To Make Jello Shots Recipe
- Mixing bowl
- 9 oz jello 3 3-oz packages
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup liquor Use can also use less liquor and replace it with cool water if you'd prefer for a lesser alcohol volume.
- Food coloring Optional only use if you're making custom colors of jello with a clear jello packet
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil, and stir in 3 envelopes of jello until fully dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pour the dissolved gelatin mixture and 1 cup of your choice of liquor in a mixing bowl and stir. To help the gelatin set faster, use can keep the liquor in the freezer so that it's already cold once combined.
- If you're making custom colors for jello shots, you'll also want to stir in your food coloring now as well.
- Once combined, use a spoon or small funnel to pour the mixture into the individual jello cups.
- Allow the jello cups to cool completely for approximately 2 hours in the refridgerator.
- Garnish with sprinkles, cookie crumbles, or whipped cream before serving.
Don’t forget to share your jello shots recipe with us on Instagram using the hashtag #sugarandclothloves. We always love seeing all of your creations! Looking for more quick and delicious recipes? Find them all right here with a few baked goods to go along with them.