Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Cocktail Recipe — Nothing says summer and magic quite like a color changing Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Cocktail recipe to cool you off, wouldn’t you agree?!
Updated August 5th, 2020
Impress your friends with a boozy magic trick by mixing up some Butterfly Pea Flower Cocktails at your next get together!
This color changing cocktail is spin off of Mint Juleps. As any Southerner or Derby die-hards will tell you, Mint Juleps are not for the faint of heart.
They are on the boozier side, featuring lots of bourbon. And they are absolutely delicious and perfect to keep cool on a hot day.
I, Ashley Conway made this Butterfly Flower Pea Cocktail with lots of crushed ice, fresh mint, a color changing syrup (yes, seriously!) and some added lemon juice for a balanced and perfectly crushable cocktail recipe!
Where does the magic part come in? With a little science and help from a flower! The Butterfly Pea flower!
What Is A Butterfly Pea Flower?
The Butterfly Pea plant or Clitoria ternatea is wildflower vine plant. The flower originates from Thailand, where it is used in herbal teas and dishes to create a color changing effect.
When expanded, the vine plant expands to resemble a butterfly. (Hence, it’s name.)
When citrus juice or other acidic ingredients are added to a drink or dish with the flower, it changes color!
When the ph level fluctuates, so does the color, changing from a vibrant blue to purple and finally to pink in some cases, giving the drink a “galaxy” like effect.
This special ingredient acts as a natural food coloring. And it doesn’t have to be only used in cocktails! Locals actually use the flower in a popular Asian tea, Nam Dok Anchan.
Something as simple as lemonade pairs well with butterfly pea flower tea.
The Southeast Asia flower is actually with filled with anti-inflammatory compounds. So it’s a perfect relaxing drink that’s rich in antioxidants.
For this cocktail, lemon juice is poured over the drink to make the butterfly pea flower change from deep blue to a pretty purple.
Ingredients Needed To Make A Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Cocktail
- Mint leaves — For your cocktail and for garnishing
- Butterfly Pea Flower syrup — The simple syrup is easy to to make and only requires dried Butterfly Flower, water and sugar.
- Lemon juice — The important acidic element needed to get your cocktail to change colors.
- Crushed ice
Where To Buy Butterfly Tea Flower
They’re also sold as butterfly pea tea (which is caffeine free). However, make sure to buy whole dried flowers instead of the powdered tea.
They’re really popular for their mood ring color changing ways so you’d be surprised how easily they can be found!
Simple Syrup | How To Make A Butterfly Pea Flower Syrup
Butterfly pea flower has a earthy and woody taste similar to green tea. However, with some sugar, it makes for a sweet blue tea simple syrup.
Here’s how to brew your own:
Boil water. Steep 1/8 cup of dried Butterfly Pea flowers in boiling hot water for 15 minutes. Then, strain out the flowers with a fine mesh strainer.
Add 1 1/2 cups of the butterfly flower tea to a saucepan with 1 1/2 cups of sugar and heat on medium. You can reserve the leftover tea to drink or freeze into ice cubes and crush for this drink.
Once the sugar is dissolved, remove from the heat and let cool.
Store your Butterly Pea syrup in a jar or airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for up to a month.
How To Make A Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Cocktail
Before you start, make sure you’ve made butterfly flower syrup beforehand.
Gently muddle mint leaves in a julep cup or fluted glass.
Next, add crushed ice to fill 3/4 of the glass.
Then, add bourbon and the Butterfly Pea Flower syrup and stir to chill. Add more crushed ice to fill the glass.
Pour lemon juice over the cocktail and watch the blue pea change colors! The presentation alone makes this such a fun drink.
Make sure to stir it well. You’ll want to evenly mix the tart and sweet flavors. You’ll know when it’s ready when your drink is a deep magenta.
Smack mint sprigs to release oils and then, garnish the glass.
You don’t want to just throw in the mint. To “smack” the sprigs, place the sprig in one hand and gently smack it with the other. This is when the fresh flavors are released!
How To Make Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Cocktail For A Big Party
Our cocktail recipe makes for one serving. If you are hosting a large gathering or don’t want to individually make each cocktail, you can make a large batch.
Just make sure to keep the simple syrup recipe and the bourbon and lemon juice mixture in separate pitchers.
More Fun And Easy Cocktail Recipes
Love how unique this Butterfly Pea Flower cocktail is? Check out our other favorite drinks and boozy treats that will wow your guest:
- 24 Carrot Cocktail — This beautiful drink is garnished with mini carrots and edible flowers.
- Ice Sphere Cocktail — This cocktail is served not on ice but in ice!
- Easy Champagne Jello Shots — These classy shots are actually made of edible gold.
- Dotted Thai Fruit Cocktail — Basil seeds and dragonfruit add playful patterns.
- Spiked Lollipops — They look like pretty jellyfish on a stick.
- Coffee Old Fashioned Cocktail Drink Recipe — for a twist on the classic.
- A simple and delicious mulled wine recipe – Perfect for cozy, cool weather nights
- Dark and Stormy Cocktail – Halloween is just around the corner and this cocktail is perfect for it!
- Root Beer Float – Make this as a boozy or classic drink recipe
- Apple Cider Drink – This can be a cocktail, cocktail, or just a detox iced drink!
Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Cocktail
Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Cocktail Recipe
- Julep cup
- 8 mint leaves
- 2.5 oz bourbon
- 0.75 oz butterfly flower syrup refer to recipe below
- 0.5 oz lemon juice
- Crushed ice
- Mint leaves for garnishing
- Prepare the Butterfly Pea Flower simple syrup. Refer to the recipe below.
- Gently muddle mint leaves in a julep cup or fluted glass.
- Add crashed ice to fill 3/4 of the glass.
- Add bourbon and the Buttefly Pea Flower syrup and stir to chill.
- Add more crushed ice to fill the glass.
- Pour lemon juice over the cocktail and watch the blue pea change colors! Make sure to stir it well. You’ll want to evenly mix the tart and sweet flavors. You’ll know when it’s ready when your drink is a deep magenta.
- Smack mint sprig to release oils and garnish the glass. To “smack” the sprigs, place the sprig in one hand and gently smack it with the other. This is when the fresh flavors are released!
- If you are hosting a large gathering or don’t want to individually make each cocktail, you can make a large batch. Just make sure to keep the simple syrup recipe and the bourbon and lemon juice mixture in separate pitchers.
Butterfly Pea Flower Syrup
Butterfly Flower Pea Syrup Recipe
- Fine mesh strainer
- 0.125 cup dried Butterfly Pea flowers about 50 flowers
- 4 cup water
- 1.5 cup granulated sugar
- Boil water.
- Steep Butterfly Pea flowers in boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Strain out the flowers.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the Butterfly Pea Flower tea to a saucepan with 1 1/2 cups sugar on medium. You can reserve the leftover tea to drink or freeze into ice cubes and crush for this drink.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, remove from the heat and let cool.
- Store your syrup in a jar or airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for up to a month
Don’t forget to share your Butterfly Pea Flower cocktail with us on Instagram using the hashtag #sugarandclothloves. We always love seeing all of your creations! Looking for more quick and delicious recipes? You can find them all right here with a few bites to go along with them!
Ashley Rose Conway