This coconut shake recipe has a generous helping of toasted coconut for a creamy, tropical milkshake.
Looking for a cool, refreshing treat with a tropical vibe? Look no further than this coconut shake recipe!
It’s a simple three-ingredient recipe that will quickly become a recipe staple.
I (Rebecca of Good Thing Baking) love this recipe for its simplicity and how quickly it comes together.
Toasting the coconut really brings out the flavor, while a good vanilla ice cream makes it shine.
And though you can make your vanilla ice cream, you can also keep it simple and buy it from the store.
Ingredients Needed to Make a Coconut Shake
Toasted coconut flakes (or shredded coconut)
Vanilla ice cream — Use store-bought or homemade ice cream
Optional coconut shake toppings — Toasted coconut, whipped cream, and/or maraschino cherries
How to Toast Coconut
Toasting Coconut Flakes:
Flakes are larger pieces of coconut than shredded coconut. It’s great for garnishing desserts or even breakfast items like pancakes!
Step 1 – To toast coconut flakes, preheat the oven to 350° F.
Step 2 – Spread the coconut in an even layer on a baking sheet.
Step 2 – Bake the coconut for 5-7 minutes or until the coconut is a light brown color and smells nutty.
Toasting Shredded Coconut:
Shredded coconut comes in smaller pieces that look more like grated cheese. The best way to toast shredded coconut is in a pan on the stovetop.
Pour the shredded coconut into a dry skillet and heat it over medium-low heat while stirring frequently.
Continue stirring until the coconut is light brown and has a nutty smell.
How to Make a Coconut Shake
Step 1 — Begin by toasting the coconut flakes or shredded coconut.
Step 2 — After the coconut has cooled, place it in the blender with the coconut milk. Blend the coconut milk and toasted coconut until it’s smooth.
Step 3 — Next, add the ice cream to the blender jar until it reaches the 5-cup line on the blender.
Step 4 — Blend the ice cream until it’s smooth. Then, divide it into 4 serving cups.
Step 5 — Garnish each coconut milkshake with a bit of extra toasted coconut. Serve immediately.
Recipe Notes and Tips
— If you want to make the coconut shakes dairy free, you can also buy coconut ice cream. It’s also called frozen coconut dessert.
— You can use coconut flakes or shredded coconut. It’s entirely up to you!
— You can use either canned or refrigerated coconut milk, but the canned coconut milk will have a more robust flavor.
Make sure to shake it well before using it. Full-fat coconut milk is the best since it’s a bit creamier than fat-free.
— Blending the coconut and coconut milk before adding the ice cream makes the shake smoother.
If you add all of the ingredients together, the ice cream will be more melted and less thick by the time the coconut is blended.
— If you’re buying the ice cream, the flavor and quality of the ice cream you choose will be one of the biggest factors in how your shake will taste.
Usually, the ingredient lists that have just a few ingredients, like cream, milk, and sugar, will have the best flavor that really lets the coconut shine.
— If you want to add a little bit of extra flavor, you can add a banana to the shake.
The banana is a great addition to any smoothie recipe, so you can also try this banana peach smoothie
More Coconut Recipes To Try
- No Churn Creamy Pineapple Coconut Ice Cream
- Mango Coconut Pudding
- Boozy Coconut Freeze Pops
- Dark Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
3 Ingredient Coconut Shake Recipe
- How to make toasted coconut flakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spread the coconut in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake the coconut for 5-7 minutes, or until the coconut is a light brown color and smells nutty.
- How to make toasted shredded coconut:
- Pour the shredded coconut into a dry skillet and heat it over medium-low heat while stirring frequently.
- Continue stirring until the coconut is light brown and has a nutty smell.
- Additional topping ideas: whipped cream and/or maraschino cherries
- Toast the coconut flakes or shredded coconut.
- After the coconut has cooled, combine it in a blender with the coconut milk. Blend the coconut milk and toasted coconut until it’s smooth.
- Add ice cream to the blender jar until it reaches the 5-cup line on the blender.
- Blend the ice cream until it’s smooth. Then, divide it into 4 serving cups.
- Garnish each milkshake with a bit of extra toasted coconut. Serve immediately.
Don’t forget to share your coconut shake with us on Instagram using the hashtag #sugarandclothloves. We always love seeing all of your creations! Looking for more quick and delicious recipes? Find them all right here with a few baked goods to go along with them.