Looking for a creamy drink? Look no further than the Buttery Nipple recipe! Served as a shot or cocktail, this caramel delight will have you falling in love.
The Buttery Nipple is a sweet creamy drink composed of two main ingredients, Butterscotch schnapps liqueur and Baileys Irish cream
It’s usually served in a chilled shot glass.
But it’s equally delicious served in a glass on the rocks as a cocktail for you to slowly sip and enjoy.
What is Butterscotch Schnapps Liqueur?
Butterscotch schnapps is a liqueur made with neutral-tasting alcohol as the base with butter and brown sugar mixed in.
This combination leads to butterscotch-like flavor.
It’s delicious and smooth enough to drink on its own (though best on the rocks).
And it’s definitely a nice addition to have in your liquor collection since it’s great for whipping up dessert cocktails.
But keep in mind that Butterscotch schnapps is different from butterscotch liqueur.
What is Baileys Irish Cream?
Baileys Irish cream is a sweet creamy liqueur made with Irish whiskey, cream and cocoa with chocolate and vanilla notes.
Drink it on the rocks or there are so many cocktails that call for Baileys like the Espresso Martini with Baileys.
What Ingredients Do You Need to Prepare the Buttery Nipple Shot and Cocktail?
Butterscotch schnapps liqueur
Baileys Irish Cream liqueur
And out of the traditional ingredients, we’ve added a fun garnished rim. For this, you are going to need:
White granulated sugar
Caramel syrup — To help stick the garnish.
Useful Tools To Make the Buttery Nipple
Cocktail or bar spoon — For a layered shot or drink. If you don’t have one, you can also use a regular spoon.
Jigger — To measure each liquid.
Small bowl — To mix the sugar, cinnamon, and chocolate sprinkles garnish.
Small plate — To rim the glass.
How to Make a Buttery Nipple Shot and Cocktail
Optional: If you are making a shot, chill the shot glass in the fridge at least 10 minutes in advance.
1 — In a small bowl, combine the white sugar, cinnamon, and chocolate sprinkles and set them aside.
2 — On a small plate, pour the caramel syrup and dip the shot glass or old fashioned glasses.
If using an old fashioned glass, you can get creative and just dip only one side for an “angle dip” rim.
3 — Then, dip the glass in the sugar, cinnamon, and chocolate sprinkles mixture. Make sure to completely cover the caramel.
Optional: If making a cocktail, add a few ice cubes to your glass.
4 — Pour in the butterscotch schnapps liqueur.
5 — Slowly pour in the Baileys Irish Cream.
You’ll want a layered effect. To do so, slowly pour along the back of the spoon. And move the spoon up as the shot glass or old fashion glass fills.
We used this same method with the Carajillo recipe for an even mix but you still get the beautiful layered look.
Buttery Nipple Recipe Notes and Tips
— You can also garnish it with the more traditional whipped cream on top and raspberry.
— You can substitute the caramel syrup dip for honey.
— Do not worry if you’re unable to layer the liqueurs or if it does not look perfect. The Buttery Nipple is equally delicious if you just want to mix it.
More Easy Dessert Cocktails To Try
- Creamy Birthday Cake Cocktail
- Lucky Coconut Mint Chocolate Cocktail
- Strawberry and Rose Sorbet Champagne
- Passion Fruit Martini
Buttery Nipple Shot and Cocktail Recipe
- Shot glass
- Cocktail spoon
- Small bowl
- Small plate
For the shot version:
- 1/2 oz butterscotch schnapps liqueur
- 1/2 oz Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur
For the cocktail version:
- 1 1/2 oz butterscotch schnapps liqueur
- 1 1/2 oz Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur
- Ice cubes
For the garnish:
- 2 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp chocolate sprinkles
- If you are making a shot, chill the shot glass in the fridge at least 10 minutes in advance.
- In a small bowl, combine the white sugar, cinnamon, and chocolate sprinkles and set them aside
- On a small plate, pour the caramel syrup and dip the shot glass or old fashioned glasses.If using an old fashioned glass, you can get creative and just dip only one side for an “angle dip” rim.
- Dip the glass in the sugar, cinnamon, and chocolate sprinkles mixture. Make sure to completely cover the caramel.
- If making a cocktail, add a few ice cubes to your glass. Omit this step if you're making a shot.
- Slowly pour in the Baileys Irish Cream. You'll want a layered effect. To do so, slowly pour along the back of the spoon. And move the spoon up as the shot glass or old fashion glass fills.
Don’t forget to share your Buttery Nipple Cocktail with us on Instagram using the hashtag #sugarandclothloves. We always love seeing all of your creations! Looking for more quick and delicious recipes? You can find them all right here with a few desserts to go along with them.