DIY Polka Dot Floppy Hat - Sugar and Cloth

DIY Polka dot floppy hat

DIY polka dot floppy hat | sugarandcloth.comDIY polka dot floppy hat | sugarandcloth.com

Floppy hats are kind of like my summer disguise. I have what I like to call “wings” (not as in an angel), but as in hair frizzies, and Houston humidity shows me no mercy. Alas, hats of all kinds are welcomed with open arms during the summer months, and I decided I’d ad my token aesthetic to a plain floppy happy with these DIY polka dots.

Ironically my lovely friend Kelly and I happened to both make painted floppy hats around the same time (hers in her true donut fashion), so I held off a bit before sharing mine. It’s hard to compete with donuts, but then you add a little bit of pink and I melt, ya know?

All of this to say don’t judge me the next time you happen upon me at brunch wearing an oversized polka dot floppy hat indoors…

Materials:

DIY polka dot hat-1Dip the foam pouncer into the all-purpose craft paint and then make your first dot starting on the top of the hat. Be sure to hold the inside flap tight with your hand.

DIY polka dot floppy hat | sugarandcloth.comThen slowly make your way down the side of the hat to the brim spacing your dots sporadically. The more paint you have on the brush the better, but you can also make touch-ups with the brush after you make the initial dots.

DIY polka dot floppy hat | sugarandcloth.com

Let it dry completely and you’re all set! The Martha Stewart craft paints are all purpose and hold up well against water once they’ve dried. Even with a little accidental dip in the pool, the painted dots stayed crisp and vibrant.

Now how cute is my friend Caitlin? You know you found a good friend when they let you borrow their model body at a moments notice to post all over the internet. And she happens to also make killer desserts, go figure!

photos by Jared Smith

DIY Polka Dot Floppy Hat - Sugar and Cloth

DIY Polka dot floppy hat

Materials:

DIY polka dot floppy hat | sugarandcloth.com

photos by Jared Smith

Comments

• Brittni

06.18.14

Such a cute DIY. I love the photos…and that floating pretzel!

• Ashley said:

I know, the donut was sold out ;)

• move2denver

06.18.14

This is brilliant! I love it! You are a genius on my books!

• Ashley said:

That might be the best comment ever, haha! ;) xoxo

• jewel7013

06.18.14

OMG, I totally can relate to wearing hats to disguise my bad hair days and there are too many of them due to frizzies and cutting my own bangs. I cant get over how good these pictures are… love the different angles that you chose to showcase your adorable floppy hat(should be in a magazine spread)

• Ashley said:

haha, amen to that!

• Shelissa

06.18.14

This is such a great DIY and so cute.

• Ashley said:

Thanks Shelissa!

• For real: genius. Love how simple this is and your friend killed it with the modeling. I mean, come on! She even got the fingers just right! Bravo =)

• Laura

06.19.14

Totally doing this. Love the bathing suit too. Do you know where it’s from?

• sheri

06.22.14

This DIY is so cute and photos are so fun and colorful! I really love the beach towel from the first photo, where is it from?

• Ashley said:

Thanks Sheri! It’s from the Target home section :)

• iHanna

06.23.14

Love the idea, and the photos are to die for. So stylish!

• Ashley said:

I know, Jared takes awesome photos!

• Laney Shiff

06.23.14

I am only 10 and I made this. I added pink polka dots, a pink ribbon separated the top and bottom and added hawaiian flowers to the ribbon! I love this hat. What a great idea! :)

• Ashley said:

Hi Laney! So glad you liked the project, I bet yours is beautiful! :)

• Lauren

06.25.14

So fun! Can you share the sources for your friend’s gorgeous swimsuit and the beach towel/blanket in the first photo by any chance?

• Ashley said:

Yes, they’re actually both from Target! The towel is in the regular home section though, not the beach towels :)

• 2015年の新素材-新作!高品質 腕時計高品質の追求 超N品を良心価格で提供スーパーコピーブランドバッグ、財布、時計代引き専門店2015年人気最新品、新素材! には、ルイヴィトンコピー、シャネルコピー、グッチコピー、コーチコピー、ロレックスコピー、プラダコピー、ブルガリ財布コピーその他小物等、ブランド品、、ルイヴィトン、PRADA、Coach、GUCCI、CHANEL、BVLGARI、デュポン、ROLEX時針各種海外有名ブランド品を豊富に取り揃え、しかもお客様を第一と考えて、驚きの低価格で提供しております。税関の没収する商品は再度無料にして発送します。広大な客を歓迎して買います!3-6日にきっと引き渡す.スーパーコピーブランド時計
    スーパーコピーブランド格安販売店はこちらへ!品々の激安価格に持ったスーパーコピーブランド 代引きの新作はお客様に提供されます。安心、迅速、確実、お客様の手元にお届け致します。★弊社は9年の豊富な経験と実績を持っております。★一流の素材を選択し、精巧な作り方でまるで本物のようなな製品を造ります。★品質を重視、納期も厳守、お客様第一主義を貫きは当社の方針です。★驚きの低価格で商品をお客様に提供致します!★早速に購入へようこそ! http://www.bagkakaku.com/rolex_watch.html

• スーパーコピー時計,バッグ,財布| ブランドコピーの専門店スーパーコピー豊富に揃えております、最も手頃ず価格だお気に入りの商品を購入。弊社フクショー(FUKUSHOW)ブランド腕時計、雑貨、小物最新作!エルメス バーキンスーパーコピー時計N品のみ取り扱っていまずのて、2年品質保証。エルメス食器,スーパーコピーブランド激安販売シャネル 財布スーパーコピー,スーパーコピーブランド 財布激安販売エルメス スーパーコピー,スーパーコピーブランド激安販売売スーパーコピーロレックス スーパーコピー,スーパーコピーROLEX激安販売IWC スーパーコピー,スーパーコピーIWC時計激安販売エルメス時計スーパーコピー,スーパーコピーhermes時計激安販売ボッテガ ヴェネタスーパーコピー,スーパーコピーブランド財布激安販売スーパーコピー時計スーパーコピーブランドバッグ時計コピー激安販売
    高品質2015シャネル スーパーコピー激安專門店弊社は海外大好評を博くシャネル コピー激安老舗です,2015高品質シャネル バッグ コピー,シャネル 靴 コピー,シャネル 財布 コピー品の品質はよくて、激安の大特価でご提供します。 http://www.msnbrand.com/brand-copy-IP-24.html

• スーパーコピー時計専売店当店は海外安心と信頼のスーパーコピーブライトリング、代引き店です.正規品と同等品質のシャネル コピー代引き,品質が秀逸,値段が激安!ブライトリングコピー,代引きなどの商品や情報が満載!全商品写真は100%実物撮影です! お客様の満足度は業界No.1です!スーパーコピー時計,時計コピー ,ブランド時計コピー販売(n級品)店舗 ブランド腕時計(ロレックス,ブライトリング,タグホイヤー,オメガ,ガガミラノなど)の最新 情報やイベントを紹介する正規販売店と腕時計コピーの専門サイトです。当店はロレックスやパテックフィリップなどの新品スーパーコピー時計の販売と。
    スーパーコピー商品、ブランドコピ ー財布、偽物バッグコピー財布コピーN 級品、ブ ランドスーパーコピー商 品、グッチ財布コピー,ミュウミュウ 財布激安。ブランドスーパーコ ピー銀座、ランドスーパーコピー財布。ブラ ンドスーパーコピー代引き、ブランドスーパーコピー専門店、ご購入する度、ご安心とご満足の届けることを旨にしておりますよろしくお願いします ありがとうございます http://www.ooobrand.com/bags/bv/index.html