The Grateful Dead drink is a potent cocktail, composed of 6 different types of liquors that create a fun tie-dye effect when mixed.
This Grateful Dead drink recipe is a shockingly strong drink, made with a concoction of lots of liquors.
All the while, it still boasts fruity, sweet and well-balanced flavors. So drink with caution.
And you might be wondering, why the name?
There’s not much info out on the history of this cocktail.
It’s a refreshing potent cocktail that is often compared to the Long Island Iced Tea or the Blue Motorcycle.
But it magically changes colors like the Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Cocktail.
So in a way, it can knock you out (in a good way). Hence, you’ll for sure be “grateful dead”. (Pun intended).
Another theory might be regarding its tie-dye effect and its homage to the psychedelic 60s band, Grateful Dead — a band that its members and fans would rock proverbial tie-dye clothing.
What Does the Grateful Dead Cocktail Recipe Taste Like?
Don’t worry about the number of hard liquors involved — tequila, gin, vodka, rum, schnapps and Blue Curaçao.
This cocktail is fruity, sweet and dangerously easy to sip down!
Raspberry and blackberry are the primary flavors, paired with fresh lime juice.
It’s finished off with beautiful orange notes thanks to the Blue Curaçao liqueur.
What Ingredients Do You Need to Make a Grateful Dead Cocktail?
Sweet and sour mix — Available pre-made or learn how to easily make it at home here.
Fresh raspberries and blackberries — For garnish
Lime wedge — For garnish
Useful Equipment to Have on Hand to Make This Cocktail
Highball glass — Or any tall glass
How to Make Grateful Dead Drink Recipe
1 — Fill the cocktail shaker up to 3/4 high with ice.
2 — Add the tequila, white rum, gin raspberry vodka, and sweet and sour mix to the shaker.
Close and shake for 1 minute or until it gets icy cold.
3 — Fill a tall glass with a mixture of raspberries, halved blackberries and about 3/4 high of crushed ice.
4 — Pour in the chilled cocktail mixture, straining the ice in the cocktail shaker.
5 — Carefully and slowly, pour in the blackberry schnapps on one side of the glass.
6 — Carefully and slowly, pour in the Blue Curaçao on the other side of the glass.
7 — Garnish the cocktail with a raspberry, blackberry, and the lime wedge.
8 — Mix the drink with the straw before sipping it to enjoy the tie-dye effect!
Recipe Notes and Tips
— The drink turns into a purple-blueish color when mixed at the end. But to save time or if you wish to make a large batch, you can mix all the ingredients together at the same time.
— If you do not have raspberry vodka on hand, you can add a bit of raspberry liqueur like Chambord.
More Easy Berry Cocktails to Try
Looking for more berry flavored cocktails like this Grateful Dead drink recipe? Look no further!
- Peach and Blackberry Bramble — The perfect transitional cocktail from the heat of the summer to the flavors of fall.
- Blackberry Champagne Punch — A sparkling 2-ingredient cocktail.
- Sherry Berry — A sweet and tart drink muddled with raspberries, blackberries and strawberries.
- Lava Flow — The ultimate frozen tropical Hawaiian cocktail featuring light rums, coconut, pineapple and strawberry.
Grateful Dead Cocktail Recipe
- 1/2 oz white tequila
- 1/2 oz gin
- 1/2 oz white rum
- 1/2 oz raspberry vodka
- 1 oz sweet and sour mix
- 1/2 oz blackberry schnapps
- 1/2 oz Blue Curaçao
- Ice whole ice cubes for the shaker & crushed ice for the glasses
- 2-3 blackberry for garnish
- 2-3 raspberry for garnish
- 1 lime wedge for garnish
- Fill the cocktail shaker up to 3/4 high with ice.
- Add the tequila, gin, white rum, raspberry vodka, and sweet and sour mix to the shaker. Close well and shake for 1 minute or until it gets icy cold.
- Fill a tall glass with a mixture of raspberries, halved blackberries and about 3/4 high of crushed ice.
- Pour in the chilled cocktail mixture.
- Carefully and slowly, pour in the blackberry schnapps on one side of the glass.
- Carefully and slowly, pour in the Blue Curaçao on the other side of the glass.
- Garnish the cocktail with a raspberry, blackberry, and the lime wedge.
- Enjoy the tie-dye effect and mix the drink with the straw before sipping it!
Don’t forget to share your Grateful Dead Drink with us on Instagram using the hashtag #sugarandclothloves. We always love seeing all of your creations! Looking for more quick and delicious recipes? You can find them all right here with a few desserts to go along with them.